THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Italian vs. US Made Sharps Rifles

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italian vs. US Made Sharps Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Is there a real, quality based reason to buy a Shiloh or C. Sharps rifle vs. an Italian made version?

It seems the Italian made rifles can be had immediately, while those made in the USA can take years to obtain.

And the price difference is substantial, with US made rifles costing a great deal more.

Are they worth it?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Is there a real, quality based reason to buy a Shiloh or C. Sharps rifle vs. an Italian made version?

It seems the Italian made rifles can be had immediately, while those made in the USA can take years to obtain.

And the price difference is substantial, with US made rifles costing a great deal more.

Are they worth it?

Finally, on AR, a real topic worth a discussion. And remember, I’m an idiot.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually, Dr Stewart is not an idiot. He is just being modest.
As for the Sharps, I have owned most every make and type made, since both Shiloh started making them here and Sile started importing them in 1975 or so from Italy.
I have a pile of trophies that I won with a Dixie Gun Works 40-65 target rifle.
C sharps were super quality, but are not in business now.
The Italian makers, and they vary in quality. Of course, the Shiloh are the best quality and will have the highest resale value, but are expensive. Are they worth it? I have owned them, and are not any more reliable or accurate, if that is your concern. I assume you want a 74 model and not a civil war carbine, rifle, or conversion type.
Best thing to do is come over and I'll show you all variations. Both cartridge, percussion, and custom made ones. (Working on now now, actually)
IAB is at the bottom; those are not accurate in design, but work for hunting.
Taylors sells ones made by Chiappa; very good rifles.
Cimarron Sharps are made by Pedersoli.
There are also ones made by Pedersoli; excellent rifles.
I have one old Garret made by Armi San Marco; the best copy made, that I killed a caribou with with black powder 45-70; but they are no longer made; also very good.
Uberti and Pedretti I have not used.
I like both the percussion and cartridge ones.
Anyway, don't worry; the Italian ones are good; just don't get the IAB. They use beech stocks and are not as well made, but do work.

Posts: 17125 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - I am talking about the 1874.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shiloh is the way to go. And yes the quality of build is much better that the Euro replicas. Buy through Bill Goodman or watch the various web sites and bypass the long wait.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not everyone can afford or wants to spend the $3k for a Shiloh when half that will buy a perfectly serviceable rifle. Which is why I sell Italian ones ten to one. As I said, the Shiloh are the best but the Italian ones are not junk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve handled the non USA 1874s and have owned two and still own one Shiloh 1874. In my view the fit, and finish of the Shiloh is superior. Can’t talk about functionality of the non USA guns, but my Shilohs have been flawless.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I own and use lots of them; down to about 6 now, all Italian. Sold all the Shilohs I have owned. Of course the Shiloh is better fitted; that is what you are paying for.
However, they don't shoot any better, which is my point. OP asked specifically about Italian made ones.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Actually, C. Sharps is still very much in business. Sharps Rifle Company, which is a different company is out of business.

I have or have had rifles by Pedersoli, Shiloh, C. Sharps, and Garrett. All are well made and shoot very well. I personally prefer C. Sharps over the others based on a combination of customer service and price verses overall quality. In my experience, the turnaround on a C. Sharps rifle is six to nine months, which is not bad for what is essentially a custom build. I believe the Shiloh guns have the best modern finish, but the longest lead time, and the customer service can be great or awful depending on if you have to deal with Lucinda (the owners' daughter and a less than pleasant person) or you can deal with almost anyone else there. To my eye the finish on the C. Sharps looks closest to the originals that I have seen. The Garrets (sadly no longer sold) were the best of the Italian guns, but the Pedersoli guns are a close second. I visited the Pedersoli factory in Italy in 2011 and had the opportunity to meet the current Davide Pedersoli. The owners and employees of Pedersoli struck me as a group focused on building a good product and on customer satisfaction.

It all depends on what you want. If you just want something that will shoot well look at the Pedersoli. If you want something a bit unique to you or are concerned with made in America, look at C. Sharps or Shiloh.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the OP asked about Italian, Shiloh and C. Sharps.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI. I have decided to buy an 1874 from C. Sharps Arms Co., Inc. in Big Timber, MT.

They will make it to order, the way I want it:

1874 Bridgeport Sporting Rifle
Caliber .45-70
Semi-Fancy Walnut Straight Grip Stock
30 Inch Tapered Octagonal Barrel
Shadow Lined Cheek Piece
Cast German Silver Nose Cap (Hartford Style)
Buckhorn/Ladder Rear and Blade Front Barrel Sights
New Ideal Sporting Tang Rear Sight

Also, they informed me that they can finish it in approximately 10 months, which suits me just fine.

It will cost more than a comparably-featured Italian rifle, but I have concluded the extra money will be well spent.

Thanks, again, for all of the helpful information.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You made the right choice IMHO. I am however very skeptical of that delivery time.....unless they have radically changed in the past few years.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing really fancy or otherwise "special" about the rifle I ordered.

No special action surface treatment or engraving.

Just a straightforward Sharps rifle.

One should never put too much stock in predictions by a gunsmith or a contractor when it comes to timing. At best, any predicted completion date is an estimate.

We'll see.

Mike

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Degoins, I believe you are thinking of Shiloh Sharps. Between the various members of my family, we have had C. Sharps build us five rifles and all have been delivered in under 10 months.

Mike. If your experience is like ours has been, you will not be disappointed.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know, l-n-b. Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
loud,

No I was thinking of C. Sharps. That's why i said "unless they've changed". their delivery times used to be very very optimistic. I'm glad to hear they've vastly improved. I've always gone through a dealer for the Shiloh's I've owned/own. Bill Goodman is the way to go for those.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I agree on a Shiloh unless you want something quite particular you are better going with Bill Goodman. I ordered an 1877 in .45-90 from C. Sharps in March of 2021, and it is out being checkered now, so I am guessing it will end up being 11 months. That is still acceptable to me for what is essentially a custom rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Linking this as a follow up and FYI.

Very disappointing after a year's wait.

C. Sharps Follow Up

I am now in the market for a Shiloh!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve handled and shot the European rifles, and I’ve owned two Shiloh Sharps. The Montana made guns are much better fit and finish.
Are they worth the extra cost, to me yes.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote