THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Winchester 1885 - sub MOA "keeper"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1885 - sub MOA "keeper"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got a chance to wring out my new 1885 at the range. This is a Miroku Sporter model in 45-70, 24" octagonal barrel.

I mounted and boresighted a new Vortex scope and once I was on the paper at 50yds, I moved the target back to 100 yds.

Upper left: making scope adjustments (small holes is a 5 shot group from my CZ452 22LR at 100yds)

Upper right: couple more scope adjustments and then, "Oh My!" 3 consecutive shots in (essentially) the same hole.

Lower Left: wait 10 mins to cool down; 5 shot group with one called flyer. "Something good happening here?" Even with the 10min cool down, the first two shots of this group are basically on top of the 3-in-the-same-hole from the previous one.

Lower Right: wait 5 mins for someone to put out a target, then 3 shots as time ran out before the range shut down for the day. "Hell yeah, think I'll call that load a keeper."

The load: 405gr Remington SP over 56gr H335, Starline brass, WLR primer. Nice thump and a hell of a nice fireball. Oh, and the accuracy too!

It's so nice when all the stars align every so often and things just plain work.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Browning High Wall, made mid. 90´s, .45-70, 300grs. Hornady HP @100m

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up trying with my 45-70 after I couldn't get any factory ammo to group --more than 1" !! dancing

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
you poor man....just to think that your jap made 85 would not throw groups larger the the 1" size...must be disheartening for sure. i have the same trouble with the different blackpowder loads im playing with at half that distance. when the snow isnt thigh high on me ill start with the 100yd targets and finally get to the 300yd mark but wowww that snow is sure cold n deeeeep

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote