New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 Ruger #1 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of these did they make? Saw one at the Tulsa show last fall but was out of $$$, so SOL. Hoping same guy was there, but wasn't. What is the bore/groove dia. and twist, from anyone who owns one? Are they still available?
Thanks

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, they were a one-time run about 15-17 years ago. They made a run of 32-40's at the same time.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockrat: Ruger usually does runs no less than 250 pieces. The 38-55 was such a run and is no longer available. It was not to my knowledge made in 32-40. Although anything is possible. I have never seen or heard of such. I have not had one of the 38-55s but have spoken to several who do and they said it shoots well but I can't remember what they said about groove diameter. I did ask. I saw two at Tulsa in Oct. One was new in the box and the other was custom made. Prices vary quite a bit and some folks act like they are gold. They are around and I have seen them priced from $800.- $1200. You may run into one for less. These rifles were made before Ruger made barrels for the No.1 so the accuracy could be as spotty as most. A new run would be possible but so far I have seen little desire from posts I have made in this forum. The Win 1885 (Jap) is now available in 32-40. The Jap '85s usually have slick bores and make good shooters.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker,

this was back about 1993-94, IIRC. They had some thoughts about getting a Ruger Class for Schuetzen, a sort of way to get some new blood into the sport.
A Ruger rep had both rifles at the ISSA Nationals that August. A post on the ISSA net might get some answers for you.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote