THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Need info on Remington-Hepburne Rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on Remington-Hepburne Rifle
 Login/Join

<Salish>
posted
My bro-in-law is wanting to sell an old rifle that belongs to his girlfriend and has asked me to search the internet and seek info (he doesn't have a computer). I've seen this particular rifle before - it had belonged to his girlfriends Grandfather. It's a Remington Hepburne single shot, but that's about where the information ends. We cannot determine what caliber it is nor can we find a serial number. I would appreciate info on this rifle if someone here would be willing to share it. Here are the specs: single shot, 26" (from chamber) half octogon barrel, right sideplate reads "Hepburne Pat. Oct. ? 1879", gun has a "knobby" pistol grip, normal "stepped" sight on top of barrel with sight similar to buckhorn, only flat on top (no tang sight). On the top of the barrel between the receiver and sight it reads "Remington Lyons, N.Y.". Further up the top of the barrel on the round portion of the barrel there is a "40-something" stamped (hard to read, faint), on the bottom tang behind the trigger guard it's stamped " 8 7 9 " (with spaces, very faint - could be the patent date with the 1 missing?), and the rifle has a single trigger. That's it, no other stampings or info that we can see, and we've examined the rifle from head to toe under a bright light with a magnifying glass. I suspect there might me a serial number or caliber designation under the forearm, but I didn't want to take that off until I know for certain. It's obvious to us the forearm has probably never been removed. Being more of a shotgun guy than a rifleman, I would call this a "field grade" gun - nothing fancy or beyond the norm. As to it's condition, I would call it a "nice" shooter. The gun is solid and all there and everything seems to work. There is some minor pitting over some of the gun, on the sideplate, on various areas around the receiver, and in a few spots on top of the barrel (round portion). Ir's a little difficult to tell about the bore because it probably hasn't been cleaned since 1920, but it appears to be just a little dirty with little or no pitting. He won't be able to tell, though, until he really scrubs it out. The wood has the unusal dents and dings from a working rifle this old but nothing bad, except for a very small chunk of wood missing from the left side of the tang, about 3-4 inches behind the receiver.

That's all the info I have. If it was me, I wouldn't be selling a family heirloom like this, but each to his own, I guess. Also, I think they both are seeing many $$$ in their eyes, thinking that they have a super exotic black powder single shot on their hands. Well, it is exotic in today's world and it is cool, but because of it's condition and grade, I don't think they would make enough to pay off their mortgage. Anyway, I would appreciate any and all help on this.

Thanks for your help
Cliff

<centerpunch>
posted
Remington history is scant.

It is a Remington-Hepburn, ( no "e") originally designed by Lewis L. Hepburn, Remington's superintendant of the mechanical department and US team member at the Long Island, NY CREED'S MOOR (Creedmoor) farm where the best of the US went against the best of the British Isles (the Irish)

The US won by a scant margin� 934 to 931 after a long (couple a days) match using the conventional but tuned by Lewis, Remington Rolling Block.

The Hepburn has a falling block action by designed Lewis in 1880 (noted above) and was desigated "No. 3 Improved Creedmoor Rifle from 1880 til ca.1907. The rifle is reliable and accurate but a bear on recoil with the extensive drop due to stock design.

The calibre you describe (partially) is probably a 40-65, common in it's day, more so today because it is a low (relatively) recoil cartridge that will hit the 800Y target at modern-day BPCR matches.

A CerroSafe casting (mat'l from Brownell's) would confirm the cartridge.

Value, if all there and condition suitable to its' age (good or better bore) might bring $7-800 US.

Parts are available from a local maker, Wind River Rifles. New rifles, depending on wood and sights range from $1800 to $3000, for premium wood.

[ 09-02-2002, 09:15: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

<bolden>
posted
Sounds like you have a standard Rem-Hepburn #3 sporting rifle. Used to have one just like that years ago in 45-70. You'll need to be careful with the caliber, though. While the 40/65 is a possibility, it was mainly chambered in Winchester and Marlin firearms. A 40 caliber that was used for sure in the Rem-Hep was the 40-70 Remington, which was nothing more than Remington's version of the 40-70 Sharps necked. It was chambered in the #3 rifle starting in 1880. Basically it sounds like you need to make a chamber cast, or have a gunsmith do it before you can resolve the caliber problem. Don't know what the current value for them is, but I sold mine, which was in excellant shape, 18 years ago for $500.

<Salish>
posted
Thanks Bolden & Centerpunch. This is a lot of info and I really appreciate it. I'll pass it along to my bro-in-law and let him digest this and I hope he decides to keep the gun.
Thanks again.