THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Winchester 1885 (Miroku) in 38-55 - Thoughts on Barrel Length

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1885 (Miroku) in 38-55 - Thoughts on Barrel Length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seriously thinking about owning one of these in the very near future and I'm torn between the "short hunter" 22-inch or the 28-inch standard hunter models. Prices are virtually identical, both have octoagonal barrels, curved butt, and tang sight. I reload and will buy dies, etc., but do not cast bullets. I'll probably hunt the occasional whitetail with it and plink a good bit but will do no target shooting. I'll probably have to scope it because of aging eyes.

Suggestions on barrel length? Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut my 45-70 to 22" to get a handier and lighter gun for hunting .I've never regreted it . Velocity loss is minimal with a low velocity round .Total weight W/scope and strap 8.5 lbs and 37".

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are sticking with iron sights, no question that 28" is the way I would go. If with a scope, total weight and balance would determine. I recently bought two Number 1's, a 9.3x74 and a 450/400. The extra two inches of barrel and heavier contour make the two balance and handle very differently.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The unfortunate thing is that the 28" barrel models are now gone from CDNN. And I'd convinced myself that a 28' bbl and 44.5" OAL were just the ticket. Now I'm back to considering whether or not to get a 22" one.

On the other hand, I also picked up a No. 1 in 9.3x74R last year and the OAL is exactly the same as the 22" bbl 1885 (38.5"). So . . . Smiler

-WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Considering," eh? Nah, bug had bit and I went straight to gunbroker and bought one with the 22" barrel. Karma.