THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    #1 or Encore????????????? And a shameless self invitation...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

#1 or Encore????????????? And a shameless self invitation...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

I have a deep like/appreciation/unexplainable feeling for a Ruger #1. They just tickle my fancy about the best.

On the other hand, the Encore has a whole industry set up for extra barrel this or extra barrel that or new buttstock this along with new fore arm that.

The true esthetics of a #1 are much better to me than an Encore. However, I just like the looks of some of the odd laminates that are out there and I like calibers that Ruger does not produce. Which cause me a dilema.

I have shot and owned a couple of #1s before and really liked them. I have never shot an Encore.

I have a true hankerin for a single shot rifle in 6.5x55 or .260 rem. or 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 or maybe even a 6.5WSM or 6.5 WSSM.

Now comes for the shameless self invitation.
[Smile]

Does anyone live within 3 or 4 hours of say the intersection of I65 and the Alabama/Tennessee border that has an Encore in one of these calibers that would like to share a day at the local rifle range? I would be most happy to drive and even bring a goodly supply of ammo if it is a caliber that I can find.

I have 6.5x55 and .260 remington and can get 6.5-284 easily. The others I would have to scrounge for but could probably find with a couple of days of trying.

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 #1s (45-70 & .300 Wby) and I really like them. However, to get good accuracy I had to get them re-barreled. Some #1s have crappy barrels.

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
To get good accuracy out of a encore, you better plan on a custom barrel, and even then they are finicky. I love my Encore, but for accuracy out of the box, its a bit lacking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have both a .260 and a 6.5 x 284 in custom encore barrels . . . but I live in TX

i have also had a factory .260 barrel

accuracy in my custom barrels is superb . . . and accuracy in my factory barrel was very good. I don't think a deer would notice the difference under 200 yards, that's for sure!

(these are all 22-24" barrels)

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Troy

How would you gage recoil in an Encore as opposed to a bolt action. Does the stock design with the deep pistol grip affect the percieved recoil?

How does the recoil of the 6.5-284 differ from the .260?

Where in Tx.

I may be heading to Houston for a visit in the not too distant future?

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote