New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rossi Single Shot Rifles
 Login/Join

<Rezdog>
posted
I've got a Rossi single shot break open rifle in stainless with black plastic stock and forend; .44 mag caliber. Looks just like a .410 single shot shotgun. Purchased new. No model number on it nor any mention of it on the Rossi web site. What have I got here and is it available in any other calibers? And, even though we're talking rifles here, any info on the Rossi switch barrel pistol?

<Rawhider>
posted
I have a friend who picked up a .22,.357,.44,410 He will be wringing them out for a full report the barrels look good on the centerfires-his comment so far is sometimes it's amazing what $150 will buy,haven't heard about the pistols- Rawhider-p.s Which Rez

<Rezdog>
posted
Looks like they're following the lead of NEF/H&R in the single shot rifle business. I'd love to find one in .223 and one in .45 Colt to match my handguns. I think they're a good buy for the money and make great trail guns. I'm out on the Navajo Rez in northeastern Arizona -- Twenty-six thousand square miles of red rock, canyons, mesas, and boonies. Can shoot just about anywhere and at any range you like. Mule deer, black tail deer, black bear, mountain lion, turkey, coyotes, cottontail and jack rabbits, bobcats, ringtails, etc. Since I'm not NA I would have buy big game permits and they go for 900 to a thousand. I dn't hunt any more anyway. I lived in Alaska twice for a total of six years and this area beats Alaska hands down.

<dave3220>
posted
So far, the Rossi single shots have been very good for the $ spent . ($150 out the door.)

The sights are pretty abominable, but the bores and triggers have been nice.
If the sears do not wear or "round-over" as the years go by, I think the Rossis may be the best value out there.

Weight is a factor sometimes.
.357 Rossi is 4lbs. when shortened a bit and the stock re-worked.
Chopped NEF of the same bore size is 1/2 again as much. 6 lbs.

The Rossi has a smaller action that is easier to wrap a smaller, stubbier "paw" around.
I'me not even going to put a carrying sling on my Rossi .357, but will have a carbine ring to snap a carabiner onto at my saddle fork, or on a light carbine sling on myself.

The .44 kicks too much for me, but there are three more on order hereabouts, for deer season, as it surely hits hard enough (on both ends!), and has as much range as you can use with iron sights, as well as being a good value for the $'s in an area hit hard by "green" policies regarding about the only way a man can make a living around here, (other than if he swallows his bile and takes some sort of state job creating more problems).

Re-shaping the cheekpiece area helps with some of the punch from the .44 .

Regards,
Dave 32-20