Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No.1 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I was looking at that beautiful falling block double that Larry Bradsahaw built and thinking of buying a No.1 in 450/400 but I want something special. Do you know of anyone that does wood and engraving on a No.1? Can you just buy a No.1 action someplace?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a Luxus?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
normally the wood work and the engraving are done by 2 separate people. finding a #1 action is near impossible. best off just finding a complete rifle as cheap as you can and go from there

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I did look at the Luxus site and called them. That is indeed and option. They would build a rifle for me in 450/400 too.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Most quality engravers won't touch a #1. They are the hardest gun for engraving on the market. I have seen several really nice custom #1's where the wood was highly upgraded and the action and accompanied parts where all case colored. Makes for a nice rifle.

The alternatives are Luxus as stated before, or the Soroka, if it's still in production? The pictures of the Soroka are awesome, but the price tag is enormous.

Both Butch Searcy and Bailey Bradshaw also make custom falling blocks that are beautiful. The pictures I've seen of both are great. Not sure what Bailey's time shedule would be.

I would like to see Bailey get some backing and add some help and turn out a bunch of guns. What he's doing has tremendous potential.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 #1s and like them. The #1 James Anderson built as shown on this site is superb. I bought a #1 to fully customize similar to the Anderson. I now have a Bradshaw and other than Mr. Anderson's, it is in an entirely different league altogether. Maybe even outta that league also. You cannot go wrong w/ a customized #1, but if you are looking for a true custom, I would talk to Bailey or possibly find a Dakota #10 to enhance. Or, if you have big bucks, talk to Martini or Searcy. Both are very fine singles.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What makes a #1 so hard to engrave ? What's it made of ? Is it like most of Ruger's stuff , 4130 or 4140 ?
My Browning 1885 was difficult but I'm a amateur at it and used the old hammer and chisel instead of the modern jackhammer method !! I kept it simple ! Roll Eyes
That large flat surface on the SS rifles really begs for engraving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
What makes a #1 so hard to engrave ? What's it made of ? Is it like most of Ruger's stuff , 4130 or 4140 ?
My Browning 1885 was difficult but I'm a amateur at it and used the old hammer and chisel instead of the modern jackhammer method !! I kept it simple ! Roll Eyes
That large flat surface on the SS rifles really begs for engraving.

I don't know what's so hard about the #1's, but ask almost any engraver, and they don't want anything to do with them.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find on the Ruger web site a source for custom engraving, deluxe wood upgrades, etc. The firm is separate from Ruger Arms Co., but specializes on Rugers. Believe on engravers web site you will note that mention is made that some of Rugers are very hard and they do a reheat/hardening process in order to engrave. They have photos of their work and some are indeed outstanding and well they should be for the price is up there. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That I undestand ,IF you have the where-with-all to re-heattreat without warping.Would make it easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Insofar as the wood goes, if you spend some time you can find an early Red Pad No. 1 with exceptional wood. (see below)

Given the number of engraved No. 1s I have seen in books and magazines, engraving them is far from impossible.

I'd start with Doug Turnbull (Turnbull Restorations) to find an engraver. Doug can also CCH like nobody else.

30-06 B now 300 H&H A

375 H&H African

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i have one that is certainly engraved

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
454-70 shooter. Those are fantastic stocks .Is that what is called chatoyance ? If so why do people say it can't be photographed ?? Maybe I have the wrong definition ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,
I sure would like to see the rest of that rifle, and here somemore about it !!!
The "who, what, where". That sure is a good lookin rifle !!!

Hang on TITE !!

posted Hide Post
Butchloc, MORE PLEASE!

Posts: 22 | Location: Tennessee/Kentucky Border | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just have a couple more pictures of this piece. it is a very very early #1 which came from hyem. apparently they bought some barrel actions from ruger and redid them. When i got it it had a ruger 243 barrel on it. Jim kobe rebarreled it for me using a sort of reversed half octagon in 300 H&h.

detail work is quite good and little is left. notice the engraved diamond on the foreend to cover the foreend screw and the trapdoor buttplate. close look will see that the 2nd hole from the bottom is actually a plug which can be removed to get at the thrubolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
just have a couple more pictures of this piece. it is a very very early #1 which came from hyem. apparently they bought some barrel actions from ruger and redid them. When i got it it had a ruger 243 barrel on it. Jim kobe rebarreled it for me using a sort of reversed half octagon in 300 H&h.

detail work is quite good and little is left. notice the engraved diamond on the foreend to cover the foreend screw and the trapdoor buttplate. close look will see that the 2nd hole from the bottom is actually a plug which can be removed to get at the thrubolt.

This may be the nicest #1 I've seen, just fabulous. Congratulation! I hope you actually hunt with it.

The .300 H&H is my favorite caliber, and I just picked up one in the Ruger #1 Medium Sporter that I hope to use for long range hunting, something I seldom do anymore.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

posted Hide Post
BUTCHLOC, Thank you for the pictures. How does it shoot?

Posts: 22 | Location: Tennessee/Kentucky Border | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shoots pretty well especially likes 180 gr accubonds. about 2" @200. its been to NZ for red stag etc. and is going back to new mexico one of these days

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,

That Greener safe is one way to eliminate the issue of fired cartridges hanging up on the safety button. I have an account with AKAH in Germany In one of their catalogs from 5-6 years ago they had Ruger No 1s stocked for Euro tastes with no rib and with swing mounts. If I remember correctly the calibers were 9.3X74R and 7X65R.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2172 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug Turnbull does them engraved.

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote