THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Another Interesting Rook Rifle - "Folding Martini" Marietta 44 Shotgun w Travel Case

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Interesting Rook Rifle - "Folding Martini" Marietta 44 Shotgun w Travel Case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Another Interesting Rook Rifle - "Folding Martini" - Marietta Dumoulin Freres - 44 Shotgun w/ Travel Case

Hello All,

Here is another very interesting Rook Rifle in my collection. (actually a 44 cal shotgun) It still has its original 1916 Redhead Leather Travel Case. The travel case is dated June 20, 1916. Amazingly, the case still has its original key for the locking strap. (as though that would stop a thief)

This dainty little gun weighs only a tad over 3-1/2 pounds. It has a very Unique Folding Martini action, making it simple to clean. This may account for why it still has a mirror bright bore from end-to-end.

Here are the specs:

3 lbs 9-1/2 oz - Octagon to Round 22-1/8" Barrel - 13-5/8" LOP

Although the pictures don't show it, the gun still retains about 75% silvered case color on the receiver, and 90% original blue on the barrel. The previous owner; W.K.SMITH, carved his name into the left side of the stock just behind the receiver. It also has an "optimistic"
Hard Rubber Butt Plate showing a pair of Flying Ducks.

As always, comments are welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Now that is an elegant tool for keeping the rabbits out of the carrot patch. Have you shot it?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Now there's something you won't see every day - a folding Martini! Astonishing! And very cute in a wry, sophisticated beamish way ...

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Now that is an elegant tool for keeping the rabbits out of the carrot patch. Have you shot it?

Hello Bill/Oregon,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes ... I have shot it. I use 44-40 cases and I load them with a paper shot capsule that I make myself.

I make a capsule by wrapping a 1-3/4" square piece of paper around a steel mandrel. (shown in the cartridge box) Then I fill it with 200g of #7-1/2 shot and load it as shown.

Very good results!

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That is a very fine pattern indeed for that range. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it work as either a break action or a martini? I remember reading of such a critter! A true privilege to see one, Thank you, Sir.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Does it work as either a break action or a martini? I remember reading of such a critter! A true privilege to see one, Thank you, Sir.

Hellogwahir,
Thanks for the reply.

It is a standard Martini Action for shooting - and a break action also. Break action is great for storage and cleaning. You can load it from the break action position also because the extractor ears will slip behind the cartridge rim when closing from the break action position with a cartridge in place in the chamber. see the picture below the caption; "Folding Martini Action" - You can see the ejector ears in the action and the clearances (left and right) in the bottom and sides of the chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a darn interesting little shotgun!

Thank you for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildmansix:
That is a darn interesting little shotgun!

Thank you for sharing.

Hello wildmansix,
Thanks for the reply.

Here's an update. I decided to do a chamber cast. I discovered the gun is actually a 410ga with a 2" chamber. I examined all the markings more closely and found a tiny 410-50 mark. The 50 is 50mm which equates to a 2" chamber. This will make reloading much simpler. I edited the original picture to show the 2" cartridge options at the bottom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was running the annual Rook rifle shoot at Bisley ten or more years ago someone turned up with .410 calibre 2" chamber Rook rifle, complete with rear sight. He fired a round ball load and got very good groups.

He then modestly put it back in its case and I have never seen him since...

Do try a round ball loading and let us know!

HB

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HistoricBore:
When I was running the annual Rook rifle shoot at Bisley ten or more years ago someone turned up with .410 calibre 2" chamber Rook rifle, complete with rear sight. He fired a round ball load and got very good groups.

He then modestly put it back in its case and I have never seen him since...

Do try a round ball loading and let us know!

HB

Hello HistoricBore,
Thanks for the reply.

If I can find my 40 cal ball mold I'll give it a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buck, is your piece choked ?
I have a nice little rook converted to 410 that is choked. Making my search for a slug load problematic.
Thanks for sharing all your acquisitions.
Larry

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChiefR53:
Buck, is your piece choked ?
I have a nice little rook converted to 410 that is choked. Making my search for a slug load problematic.
Thanks for sharing all your acquisitions.
Larry

Hello ChiefR53,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its choked. If you can get your hands on a hollow base 410 slug mold, it should shoot fairly well.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
An interesting but silly design. I just can't see that it offers anything but complexity over the traditional break open.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asdf:
An interesting but silly design. I just can't see that it offers anything but complexity over the traditional break open.

Hello asdf,
Thanks for the reply.

Simply an "improvement" to the Martini design, as it allows for easy cleaning.