New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X57R or 7X65R. got to choose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For deer, varminting, maybe elk and maybe a sheep or goat some day.. for an extra barrel on a single shot lightweight rifle.

which would you choose and why?

reloading myself, so ammo is not a problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 57 | From: phoenix, az | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged

[ 11-19-2002, 07:23: Message edited by: Jameister ]

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
7x57R. For me, a lightweight stalking rifle would be nice. I don't know that you would know the difference except in rifle weight and recoil.
the 57R would be shorter, handier and lighter. A nice dilema.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is not really that much difference in power, I have been speculating about a 7mm rimmed on a High Wall action. I do not handload so my choice will be based on which cartridge offers the greatest variety in factory loads, I know they come from Sellier & Bellot and Norma, plus the Germans, have to check them out.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a bunch of high performance Sellier and Belloit loads in the Frankonia Catalog, but sad to say these are not imported by S and B. If you check out these higher performance loads, there is quite a spread between the 757 and the 765. What acuracy do you anticipate with your highwall?

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I hace a Ruger 1A in 7X57. It is plenty for everything except the great bears!! But I think if building a custom rifle, I'd try the 7X65R (or 8X75R!!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
jameister

check out www.sb-usa.com. Apparently the sellier & bellot stuff is being imported. About 200fs difference between 57R and 65R. Loads listed are 7x57R 139/2651, 158/2484, 173/2379. 7x65R 139/2897, 158/2687, 173/2608. HiWall I would rebarrel is a Sedgely thickwall Hornet already ruined for collection purposes by rechamber to .219 Zipper and d&t of barrel for nonoriginal mounts. Weight with old J4 in Weaver topmounts is 8.25 lbs., so it is not a featherweight and with forend inletted for the med wt Sedg Hornet brl could not be made into a FW. So the preferred calibre has to work out to the 65R. If the rifle could be cut down a pound I would consider the 57R, but that is not possible and since I have the weight anyway I might as well get the power. In fact a good argument could be made for 9.3x74R, although then it would need a recoil pad which would spoil the original Sedg stock. As to accuracy, I imagine 2" three shot groups ought to be within reach if the s&b ammo will do it. This is good enough for big game hunting. By the way could not find Norma or RWS ballistics on the net altho someone better at the computer probably could.

Vigillinus

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote