New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for HiWall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Winchester 1885 on the way, 45/70. started looking at reloading charts,this one says safe in lever actions only, the next says safe in No 1 only, etc.

What is safe in a new manufacture Winchester brand 45/75, how strong is the action?
thanks

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45/75 ????? Winchester ? or Uberti copy ? or is it a 1885 copy made by someeone else ? Winchester ? is it a Winchester ? If yes made by Maroku Japan , Spelling my be wrong ? I have a 1885 Uberti 45/70 It's supposed to shoot any factory ammo , I load my own , IMR3031

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Miroku made 1885 will take anything a Ruger #1 will take .Some load to 50,000 psi ! But can you take the recoil ? While 300 gr factory loads work very well on deer ,that IIRC is loaded to only about 18,000 .SAAMi limit is 27,00 ? What are you hunting,what can you take in recoil. If you want a 458 Win , get one .The 45-70 doesn't need high velocity to do the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Winchester, I'm sure it was probably made in Japan, I don't have it yet. A friend of mine has one and I fell in love with it.

His will shoot the 350 Hornady leverlution into 1/2" all day. I am ordering my reloading dies, etc. they don't yet have the 350 plastic tipped projectiles on the market yet, so I will order some 300 ge Hornady hp.

the rifle is on gunbroker.com item # 66143895, I called and bought one like it they had.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will hang with the Ruger #1. It's no trapdoor.
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gi....If it is a Miroku/Winchester then as Brent says it will shoot Ruger loads...for fun plinking loads try some cast bullets over Unique...Nice rifle, have fun!....... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can you tell if it is a Mira--- action?
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
How can you tell if it is a Mira--- action?
thanks

It will say made in Japan?

If it is less than about 80 yrs of age, then it's a Miroku.

If it's an original Winnie, it is a completely different animal and anything more that medium to mild .30-06 loads could eventually rattle it loose (lots of room for argument there).

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote