Find
Notify
Tools

Remington SPR18
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted
This may be old news, but I just noticed this break open from Remington. Has anyone read any reviews on it, or--better yet--handled or fired one? With the rather low price (from Baikal in Russia), the quality may not be the best, but it does have a stock that's proportioned for open sight shooting, which I like.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, I just bought one in 30-06 this past Monday. It is very interesting and I am very anxious to shoot it. I have some scope rings on order and will post results when I get to the range. Fit and finish is acceptable but not great. The impressed checkering is pretty sorry. I do like how it handles and think it has potential.

Posts: 88 | Location: Lexington, Ky | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
tvlog,

Interesting rifle, can you post pix?

TIA

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How do you post pics on this sight? I can't seem to find the way to go..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to try one too. I have handled one and they aren't too bad. I am curious about the accuracy. The only thing that concerns me is the scope rail. It seems a little short and I am not sure what kind of mounts would fit it since Remington doesn't supply them. I noticed one in the classified section that had a Weaver type base on top of the factory rail. That might be the way to go. I can see me whittling on the stock and adding a red recoil pad and recheckering it if it were mine. But then I am a sucker for a project.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tvlog:

You have to put your picture on a public website and then on this site you type
[img] http\\www.mypictureslocation.jpg [\img]
(without the spaces)

You should probably try to keep the picture size below 400x400 to keep them from being too large to open easily.

hope that helps

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I emailed Remington and they recommended using Warne 11mm rings. I have some on order. It is going to the range as soon as they arrive! One thing about the rifle is that it is fairly light. Should be handy in the woods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

I've handled several of these in gunshops, and have one of the shotguns on the same action. The 12 ga shotgun was cut down and has sights so it operates as a slug gun. When I rode in the mountains a lot it I carried it a great deal and have a real soft spot for the way it operates. I shot several deer and a couple of pigs on the sly with it.

I'm waiting to see a cheap one in 7.62x39, and will have it rechambered to 303 British. Then I'd love to kid a retired smith I know into making a "nicely shaped" stock, and I reckon it'd be a real sweet poachers rifle - should I need one like !!

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Ben in Alabama
posted Hide Post
I have one in .308 Winchester. I like mine enough that I can truthfully say that mine isn't for sale ! ! I've shot a lot of cast bullets in mine. It's a shooter. I look at it as " A Poor Man's # 1 ".

Here are some photos of mine.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/IZH%2018/PICT0017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/IZH%2018/PICT0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/IZH%2018/PICT0035.jpg

Posts: 6 | Location: Cleveland, AL | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Ben, What brand of rings do you have on yours? I am having an issue with the space between the rings being large enough to accomadate a scope. My rings are Warne rings and very nice but I am having the space thing...

posted Hide Post
My rings are Milletts. They work just fine.
BTW....It looks like there isn't much forward and rearward movement with these mounts. However my scope is a Vari X II 2-7 variable. No problems with eye relief or the positioning of the scope. I have a 100% full field of view with the scope.

I've shot many factory rounds through my rifle. Nothing has moved ! !

Ben

posted Hide Post
I too have been thinking of buying one or at least a Baikal IZH - 18MH which is the same thing and a bit cheaper. That rifle in the photo seems to have some nice figure in the butt.
How is the accuracy?
How is the trigger?
BKL makes a number of 11mm rings that can help overcome the short length of the scope grooves.
"Poor man's #1" Exactly what I thought!

Posts: 15 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That rifle in the photo seems to have some nice figure in the butt. Yes...my wood is pretty nice.
How is the accuracy? Mine will clover leaf 3 rounds at 50 yards , I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it much at 100 yds. yet.
How is the trigger? My trigger is about 3.5 lbs. and pretty clean for a rifle of this price range.

posted Hide Post
I have been noticing the BKL mounts too. I bet they would work great on these. I have Warne rings and there is not enough room on the mounting base for the normal scope ring spacing. I mounted my scope with both rings between the front and the adjustment turrets. I am going to try it this way becaue it also gives enough eye relief as well. I may have to change to the BKL mount. I am going to the range this weekend to try it out. I will post reults.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
quote:
Originally posted by tvlog:

You have to put your picture on a public website and then on this site you type
without the spaces)

You should probably try to keep the picture size below 400x400 to keep them from being too large to open easily.

hope that helps

Set up an account (free) on Photobucket.com. Upload your pictures to it, then select the [IMG] http\\www.mypictureslocation.jpg [\IMG]
(
line, copy it, and post it in your reply.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/JaegerFrontSight.jpg What you are seeing is this, with an [/IMG] at the end after .jpg .......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote