THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Wycliffe single shot rifle -- tell me about it.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wycliffe single shot rifle -- tell me about it.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw an unfinished one at a gunshow today. An action that looked like a heavy Winchester 1885 and three interchangeable barrels: one in 22-250, one in .243, and one in .308. All three barrels were lightweight 22" long. None had sights, but all had scope bases. I screwed one barrel into the action and it seemed to index well (no way of measuring the headspace, though).

The action opened quite unlike a Winchester single-shot. The metal was finished (machined, heat treated, and blued -- according to the dealer). The wood was unfinished, oversize, and rough, but it looked like it was inletted well. It would not take much to finish it.

What can you tell me about it?

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see the post "wickliffe action kits for sale "

this must have been one we sold last year that somebody decided to sell. we engineered the takedown / change barrel system.

this action is patterened after the stevens 44 1/2 tho much larger.

what were they asking for it ?

we will have action kits available approx end of feb. anyone interested contact me to be on the list.

*** if someone can post it i will email a bunch of info and pics folks would like to see here.

crownpress@alltel.net or cabletools@alltel.net

tom tel 814 774 5739 till 11:00 eastern time

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He was asking $1,050. A good deal if there is nothing wrong with it. I opened the action and could not get it closed. The dealer put his finger in the top of the action and then closed it. He did this 2 or 3 more times for me. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I never did get it to close myself. What was I missing? I pulled the trigger and it was moderately light with very little movement.

The hammer did not move when the action was cycled. It was pulled back each time in order to fire it. Again, is that how it is supposed to be?

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: I just did a search and saw the ad. That is the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
harry, there might be something wrong with the way they assembled it. when you pull down the lever the hammer should pull back a little bit. (there should be a groove in the right side of the hammer that rides on a pin coming through from the right side. as you raise the lever the hammer pulls back also.

it should close smoothly when you lift the lever.

kinda sounds to me like they put something in wrong or something is sticking.

if you send me your e mail address i will send you a parts diagram, instructions, and a copy of the original brochure from 1976.

tom crownpress@alltel.net

tel 814 774 5739 till 11:00 EASTERN TIME

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, to address it's ONE shortcoming...not enough triggers on it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rich

will you buy one if i weld another trigger onto the opening lever ?

with the fully adjustable trigger there is supposed to be no need for a set trigger....
who can say, tom rotflmo

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with DST's I could order up five or six, and that was just from four people I showed the AR posts to at the shop in about two hours. I own HIWalls, 74 Sharps sidehammer rifles, and one Stevens 44 1/2 with DST's at the present.
I just like, make that L-O-V-E a crisp set of DST 's with the triggers set at about 2oz. I gave out the phone number to three gentlemen who are SS fans. If you get any orders from Boise, Idaho, area in the next 48 hours I expect a commission. Please mark me down for two. What sort-of lightweight pull will the trigger set down to?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
idaho sharpshooter

send me your email and i'll send you the trigger adjustment info = i really don't know how soft they can be made . 2 oz ??? maybe but i really don't know.

if you want two pls send your name address and phone #. don't send any money !! we'll contact you when they are being finished- probably end of feb.

would also need you federal tax id to report commission payments ! cheers, tom ps - you can call till 11:00 pm eastern time
814 774 5739 tom Big Grin

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear that my friend has upped his order to TEN of thes actions. My commission should just about pay for one of mine? Right?

cheers

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good try rich ! nobody has 10 on order - i wish they did ! tom

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HARRY O

did you ever buy this rifle ??

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
Afraid not.