THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    What calibers would you want if Ruger re-issued the No. 3 ??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What calibers would you want if Ruger re-issued the No. 3 ??
 Login/Join

<Timberghost>
posted
I agree with everyone that the wood on the old #3's was crap and the stock was developed by someone who failed art class in school. The action was cool though. [Cool] [Cool]
My wishes are:
1).17 Remington
2).22 K-Hornet (This would be sweet) [Razz]
3).357 Maximum
4).375 Winchester
5).411 JDJ(love this round!Mild kick-Max punch!)
6).405 Winchester
7).45/70
8).480 Ruger
9) With a redesigned stock and pad; any of the really big stuff. We can never have enough of those!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timberghost:
My wishes are:
5).411 JDJ(love this round!Mild kick-Max punch!)
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

TimberG, I happen to have a TC contender with a custom made 411 JDJ barrel, that started life as a 41 Rem Mag super 14 bull barrel. The barrel was rechambered to 411 JDJ, and a Muzzle brake was permently mounted makeing the barrel 16 1/2" so it is legal to use in a rifle stock. It has iron sights, and a set of Weaver scope rings and bases, with a 2x20 redfield pistol scope, for use as a pistol. This set also hs a 223 10" bull barrel with a Redfield 2X20 Pistol scope mounted. There is a pistol magnum grip (wood), and two forend wood fore stocks. There is also a nylon shoulder holster for the long barrel, by UNCLE MIKE, and a hard case for the pistol, and both barrels.

The 411 JDJ barrel has only been test fired by the gun smith, I'm thinking of selling this as a set, if you are interested.

The reason I want to sell is,I want to make a double rifle chambered for the 411 JDJ for black bear hunting, over bait. I have lost interest in hunting with handguns, and have never even loaded a round for the 411 JDJ. If you're intrested give me a post either here or E-mail DUGABOY1@aol.com

I haven't thought what this thing is worth, and so haven't put it on the "Classified" yet! I too would like to have a 411JDJ in a Ruger No1, with a short 20" barrel! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<GarthDial>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RU Kidding:
I had a #3 in 45-70 years ago-it was so painfull to shoot with that awful buttplate & light weight that between 3 experienced shooters we could barely finish a box of factory cartridges.Love the #1 though!

We must have owned the same gun! I also had a .30-40 that kicked almost as bad.

The only thing on the #3 worth keeping is the receiver. Fit it with a straight-grip stock with an old-style, checkered, shotgun buttplate or Ruger black rubber buttpad; a Bridgeport-style Sharps forend with ebony insert; a half round, half octagon 26" barrel with express sights and drilled and tapped for the scope blocks; and chamber it for .30-40, .33WCF, .348WCF, .40-65WCF, .45-70, and .50 Alaskan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.577 T-Rex w/ a nice brass 'patch box' on the stock that really holds a few dozen ammonia inhalers and assorted size band-aids.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
41 Remington Mag