The Accurate Reloading Forums
What calibers would you want if Ruger re-issued the No. 3 ??

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/597102501

12 November 2002, 14:28
<Timberghost>
What calibers would you want if Ruger re-issued the No. 3 ??
I agree with everyone that the wood on the old #3's was crap and the stock was developed by someone who failed art class in school. The action was cool though. [Cool] [Cool]
My wishes are:
1).17 Remington
2).22 K-Hornet (This would be sweet) [Razz]
3).357 Maximum
4).375 Winchester
5).411 JDJ(love this round!Mild kick-Max punch!)
6).405 Winchester
7).45/70
8).480 Ruger
9) With a redesigned stock and pad; any of the really big stuff. We can never have enough of those!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
18 November 2002, 10:07
MacD37
quote:
Originally posted by Timberghost:
My wishes are:
5).411 JDJ(love this round!Mild kick-Max punch!)
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

TimberG, I happen to have a TC contender with a custom made 411 JDJ barrel, that started life as a 41 Rem Mag super 14 bull barrel. The barrel was rechambered to 411 JDJ, and a Muzzle brake was permently mounted makeing the barrel 16 1/2" so it is legal to use in a rifle stock. It has iron sights, and a set of Weaver scope rings and bases, with a 2x20 redfield pistol scope, for use as a pistol. This set also hs a 223 10" bull barrel with a Redfield 2X20 Pistol scope mounted. There is a pistol magnum grip (wood), and two forend wood fore stocks. There is also a nylon shoulder holster for the long barrel, by UNCLE MIKE, and a hard case for the pistol, and both barrels.

The 411 JDJ barrel has only been test fired by the gun smith, I'm thinking of selling this as a set, if you are interested.

The reason I want to sell is,I want to make a double rifle chambered for the 411 JDJ for black bear hunting, over bait. I have lost interest in hunting with handguns, and have never even loaded a round for the 411 JDJ. If you're intrested give me a post either here or E-mail DUGABOY1@aol.com

I haven't thought what this thing is worth, and so haven't put it on the "Classified" yet! I too would like to have a 411JDJ in a Ruger No1, with a short 20" barrel! [Cool]
19 November 2002, 19:22
<GarthDial>
quote:
Originally posted by RU Kidding:
I had a #3 in 45-70 years ago-it was so painfull to shoot with that awful buttplate & light weight that between 3 experienced shooters we could barely finish a box of factory cartridges.Love the #1 though!

We must have owned the same gun! I also had a .30-40 that kicked almost as bad.

The only thing on the #3 worth keeping is the receiver. Fit it with a straight-grip stock with an old-style, checkered, shotgun buttplate or Ruger black rubber buttpad; a Bridgeport-style Sharps forend with ebony insert; a half round, half octagon 26" barrel with express sights and drilled and tapped for the scope blocks; and chamber it for .30-40, .33WCF, .348WCF, .40-65WCF, .45-70, and .50 Alaskan.
24 November 2002, 07:39
DigitalDan
.577 T-Rex w/ a nice brass 'patch box' on the stock that really holds a few dozen ammonia inhalers and assorted size band-aids.
30 November 2002, 09:06
<Herb D>
41 Remington Mag