THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    New Encore barrel came yesterday

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Encore barrel came yesterday
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, it really didn't take to long (I think I ordered the 2nd week of Dec). But the waiting sucks. Now I have to wait for at least half way decent weather (snowing now) to take this new barrel out and test it out.
Oh yeah, the new barrel is a 20" heavy taper 350 Rem Mag from Fox Ridge. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds cool. I have a 24" heavy barrel in .338win mag on order with Fox ridge as well. Should be in late march. The 26" 270win they made for me is as accurate as any I have seen. [Cool]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
LoneE, That sounds like it will be a real nice setup. Let us know how she shoots. I hope you got plenty of eye relief... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a companion to my .250 Sav barrel (16 1/4" Heavy taper from Fox Ridge) with a bigger hole in the muzzle. I kicked the .350 and the Whelen back and forth. When Remington announced that they were going to start loading for the .350 again that sealed it. I figured if I can get the same performance from a shorter cartridge then I get a little more actual barrel. I know it ain't much but what the heck right?

Dave,
The scope issue is actually my biggest problem right now. I really would like to see one of those new Bushnell Firefly scopes in the 1.5-4.5x (I think that is the correct power range?). My other thought is to take the Leupold off my '06, I don't use the '06 anymore but it is nice to know it is all set up and ready to go if I do need it, you know? Sean

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it shoots. I'm going to build a 350 rem mag on the Montanna 99 short action I ordered, likely a 21" tube.

As far as a scope, I'm really fond of the Leupold 2.5X compact with a premier reticles 4a reticle. It is light, compact, solid, 5" of eye relief, and has proved suprisingly bright at dusk.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
LE, Yep I know what you mean about messing with a good setup. The 350 rem mag has always interested me as a Black Bear round....and I have been wanting to try the FR/TC Custom shop. Please let me know how it shoots. Check Natchez SS or D&R Sports for the Firefly.
Good Luck

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just some FYI I put the new barrel on the frame and with base but sans scope this rig weighed just a hair over 5 lbs. Sean