THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Any other 375 jdj contender carbine shooters out there?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any other 375 jdj contender carbine shooters out there?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a 23" 375 jdj barrel from TC and put it on my contender frame that was like new.I have had alot of problems with it.I am ready to about give up on this gun.The chamber must be tight or the dies too big for the gun.It has always had a problem with loads.The last were real hornady 375 jdj brass .I thoght this would crure it but it was way worse.I really like this caliber but its been nothing but a pain for me.I was wondering if any one could give me some tips.My dies are the older about 8 years old rcbs 375 jdj dies.Some one said there are two versions of this cartridge.This rifle does not like the thicker hornady brass 444 marlin or the 375 jdj brass made by them.I also had problems with the 235 gr speer bullets not sliding in the neck.I have seen alot of people with these carbines on here and other forums.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Please define what you mean by 'problems'. Problems with misfires? Lockup? Accuracy?

quote:
I also had problems with the 235 gr speer bullets not sliding in the neck.

This tells me your expander ball is probably undersized. Have you checked the inside case neck diameter after resizing? Have you measured the diameter of your expander ball?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 235 gr speer bullets wont hold when they are seated to the rifling.They can be pushed back into the case with your finger.I didnt have this problem with my 375 win.I am using a dillion 550 for my reloading it might not size the cases down as far as a regular press.I have not had this problem in any other caliber except the 375 jdj.I have the older rcbs 375 jdj dies.I think these 375 jdj hornady cases were made bad you had to grind off a lip on the rim big time to make them fit.I didnt have that problem with the remington 444 cases I used.Hornady 444 cases game me problems also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have your answer....its the 378GNR. reedercustomguns.com and you won't regret it ever.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just came back to this thread. If your cases do not have enough neck tension to hold bullets, you are not sizing the necks.

Smoke a case neck with a match, then run it up into your sizing die. Lower the ram, and see how much soot has been wipe off.

If soot remains on the neck, turn the decapping stem down until all the soot is off the neck.

That should do it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I didn't see this one first time around,

My dies are CH Tool & Die, and my barrel is an SSK. I have zero problems making my loads with either JDJ headstamped brass, or Rem 444 Marlin brass.

I would send a fired case to either RCBS, with your die set and have them replace your die, or send a few fired cases to CH Tool & Die, and have them make you up a sizing die.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
A am useing Redding 375x444 dies (20 degree shoulder angle) for my JDJ & have had no problems at all. If memory serve me the old shoulder was 17 degrees.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took Doug's advise and brought a set of Redding dies. Don't have any problems with reloading for the JDJ.

Use Remington brass and load 235 Sierra's with no problems.

Shooting a 24 inch TC barrel.

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use Remington brass and load 235 Sierra's with no problems.

What are you useing for a powder and what vel are you getting?