New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 Handi Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a NEF handi rifle in 45/70.The loading
boks show three catagories of loading data for 45/70,trap door,1895 Marlin,andfor Rugers. Which data should I use for the break action NE Firearm. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
NEF will tell you to use Marlin loads, but the Handi is available in .500 S&W with a SAAMI MAP of 60kpsi, compare that to Ruger level 45-70 data and use your own judgement, but in reality, your shoulder will tell you how much you want to push it, most 45-70 Handi owners don't like anything more than stout trapdoor to mild 1895 loads.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an NEF 45/70 handi rifle in 1999, and asked the same question.

I did a calculation on strength.
I got some help from a gun designer and a mechanical engineering professor.

I calculated that the handi rifle was plenty strong for any load.

Some on the internet questioned the validity of my credentials.

I attempted to validate those calculations with a proof load work up that went to double the max published load for Ruger #1s.

When I put that on the internet, some still questioned the validity of the calculations and the tests and at a couple forums I was banned for being crazy and dangerous for posting it.

So my attitude now is getting to be, "Use whatever load you want, I don't care."

From "The Unforgiven"
quote:
Wounded and waiting for the point-blank shotgun blast that will finish him, Little Bill says to Munny, "I don't deserve to die like this. I was building a house," to which Munny replies, "deserves got nothing to do with it."

Deserve had nothing to do with getting banned over handi rifle calculations and data.
If it were an engineering question with a purchase order, I would have sent and invoice for $20k, but I posted it for free.
I was just casting pearls before swine.

But I did learn how to calculate a thick wall hoop stress, a double shear, and a section modulusSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever fire that load?
I know of a few tale tellers that had their Handis unlock when fired with hot loads.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my test data:
45/70 work up with; 405 gr cast with lube bands, CCI 200 primers, Win brass, old Unique [dirty] powder, chamber well lubricated between
firings with CLP for max bolt thrust.

shot 1) 18 gr, primer looks fine.
shot 2) 20 gr, primer is fine
shot 3) 22 gr, primer looks flat.
shot 4) 24 gr, primer is flat.
shot 5) 26 gr, primer is top hat and flowing, action popped open and case ejected on firing
shot 6) 28 gr, primer is top hat and flowing, case head expansion .001", action popped open and case ejected on firing
shot 7) 30 gr, case head expansion .0015" action popped open and case ejected on firing, some leading in the muzzle.
shot 8) 32 gr, case head expansion .0025", case head separating where case head is flowing into the extractor, action popped open, some leading in the muzzle, and case ejected on firing, primer is spreading out .010"

There was no change in headspace, but I had to stop the work up because of case head separation where the case head flowed into the extractor.

If I made a better fitting extractor, I could go higher.
It think the action popping open is because or recoil acceleration on the latch lever. The trigger was my right index finger and the butt was my left palm. The recoil reaction was a few feet [free recoil].

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote