Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning rod guide for #1?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a source for these?

Concerned abut Montana copper solvent getting in the action in the long run. I put together a #3 in 270 WSM and turned the guide on a friend's lathe, but he's assumed room temperature. A regular bolt action guide won't fit.

Thanks

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Eric can make you a bore guide.

Possum Hollow Products, Inc.
4086 East 300 North
Peru, IN 46970

Phone: 1-260-377-9715
PossumHollowProducts.com
Eric Sinclair eric@possumhollowproducts.com

DR #2276, P-100 2021

one of us
posted Hide Post
bore out the primer pocket to the size (caliber) of a fired case..insert case then run the rod thru that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it would work but, maybe neck a .300 H&H case down to .270 and cut off the case head or something like that.

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you are spilling bore solvent into the action, you are using too much. I have owned 20 #1s and never had this problem.
But if I was making one, I would put O rings on it.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a fired case bore out the case head to rod size or larger with a hand drill, push the case in..when finished cleaning I close the action then eject the case, not rocket science. a damp only patch is recommended..

ON a bolt gun I drill out the case head glass in an arrow shaft cut to 12 inches, same would work on a number 1..drape a towel over the stock.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I use a fired case bore out the case head to rod size or larger with a hand drill, push the case in..when finished cleaning I close the action then eject the case, not rocket science. a damp only patch is recommended..

ON a bolt gun I drill out the case head glass in an arrow shaft cut to 12 inches, same would work on a number 1..drape a towel over the stock.

Funny that you mention an arrow shaft! I use them in my Sako M46 .222 and my Win. M43 .218 B.

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 lb coffee can full of them for about every caliber, I cut the arrow shaft to about 6 to 12 inches drill primer pocket out for a snug fit then lightly glass the shaft to the case, can cut a slot in the arrow shaft to oil the patch is a good idea that's optional..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120