Find
Notify
Tools

Would you take a chance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Here's a nice K1 Merkel with a buy it now price of $2,400.00. Price is very fair. But, seller has NR feedback rating. Said he bought it new at Cabela's.
Search at GunBroker:
Merkel K1 270 with Swarovski Scope, leather sling.

Question:
What would you do?

Choices:
Keep looking.
Ask for more information.
Request original receipt and then buy it.
Other.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd ask for contact info and talk with the person on the phone first. Great buy if it's in good condition.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I agree a phone call is best to feel someone out. I already have a K1 in 7X57R or I would pursue it.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll often have him bring it to a local gunshop. Then I'll call the shop to verify it's in their possession. I'll then send the check and FFL by Priority Mail to the gunshop for the seller to pick up and OK shipment.

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Biebs: Great if the sellers' FFL will go for that. Thanks. Never thought of that.
mdstewart: It's very clean except for a small chip out of the wood where the grip of the stock meets the metal.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Finally. It sold for $2,300.00. Hope someone on here got it. Cheers. CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'll often have him bring it to a local gunshop. Then I'll call the shop to verify it's in their possession. I'll then send the check and FFL by Priority Mail to the gunshop for the seller to pick up and OK shipment.

I realize I'm late to the party but "What Biebs said." If a person on GB or any other forum that does not have established Bona Fides gets offended by one wanting to make sure of a straight up transaction, then I'm not gonna deal with him.

I watch the Merkel and Blazer Market pretty carefully. A K1 has the Recknagel Mounts, The half stock Merkel K3's are listed on Gunbroker for +/- $2,400 sans mounts and scope. Ya'll know what a used Swarovski will fetch. That sounds like one of those deals that is too good to be true!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That (too good to be true) was my first thought as well G. It seemed odd that it wasn't offered on an auction, just buy-it-now.
Before I posted this thread I checked him out a little and he seemed legit.
Now we''l see if he gets feedback on it.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I only buy what I can hold in my hands. Everything else could be just online junk.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At best buying any gun or horse is a crapshoot...Ya just never know..but I don't recall every getting ripped off for my money altogather..I have received some guns not quite up to snuff as declared, but I can handle that as a rule and I have very seldom returned one. 99% of the gun dealings Ive had have been positive and that's over my 83 years starting at about 13 years of age trading old saddles and bicycles or whatever for guns and gun stuff or visa versa..I have no real complaints that I recall, sometimes I didn't get the best deal,and that's my fault, its a learning exercise.. dancing and its fun..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote