THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Sendero vs Ruger #1 Tropical........

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sendero vs Ruger #1 Tropical........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to some really good responses in the 'big bores' forum, I'm considering upping the power on my .300WM Sendero heavy. The round I'm considering mostly is the .416 Weatherby, and I was wondering what ya'll thought about the differences between the Sendero 26" bull-barrel and the Ruger #1 Tropical in this power range(weight matters not to me, as does not recoil.) I only hand-feed my rounds when I hunt, and one shot is all I believe in, so my question goes more to the single-shot aspect than anything else. Thanks ya'll!

Posts: 53 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 17 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you change out the barrel on your Sendero to a .416 W and barrel contour and length remain the same....your new gun will actually be lighter. Less barrel metal....noticably. Although neither gun would be considered an ideal dangerous game rifle.....least wise from the "follow up shot" stand point the Rem would be my choice....only because i can tinker with it.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, boss.......and your selection for a dangerous game rifle would be?

Posts: 53 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 17 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KitaruSapien:
Thanks to some really good responses in the 'big bores' forum, I'm considering upping the power on my .300WM Sendero heavy. The round I'm considering mostly is the .416 Weatherby, and I was wondering what ya'll thought about the differences between the Sendero 26" bull-barrel and the Ruger #1 Tropical in this power range(weight matters not to me, as does not recoil.) I only hand-feed my rounds when I hunt, and one shot is all I believe in, so my question goes more to the single-shot aspect than anything else. Thanks ya'll!

Well, it is POSSIBLE to have extraction problems with the Remington action, but this has never been noted as a problem with the Ruger No. 1's. I'd opt for the Ruger, but I'll admit to being prejudiced in favor of the No. 1 action....... I too believe in making the first shot could, and have hunted exclusively with the No. 1 since 1968 or so, (when I'm not using a muzzleloader).

And contrary to popular opinion, fast follow-up shots are possible with the No. 1, if you practice fast reloading! However, in both rifles, I believe recoil would be a bigger factor in fast shooting than how long it takes to get the next one into the chamber......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I totally agree on the recoil issue, as well as the fast second shot; I even have a second cartridge set in a jacket on my Sendero's stock, and I regularly practice my "lefty-over-the-bolt" reload! Tricky!

one of us
posted Hide Post
CRF would be my first choice for DG.....but I own many Remingtons and have never had any kind of feeding or chambering problems.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, I think you need to check and see if there is enough metal on the bolt face to allow the Remington to be chambered for the .416 Wthby....I don't think there is to leave enough for the extractor to be used. The Ruger is built for the .416 Rigby and that is essentially the same rim diameter as the Wthby cartridge. Just a thought.

Posts: 1649 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH!!! Good point....I'll look into that....THANKS!!!

Pardon my absolut stupidity, but CRF?

one of us
posted Hide Post
on the No1 use a buttstock shell carrier from http://www.murrayleather.com
It is leather where your face touches and it will not cut your cheek like the all nylon ones will on a hard kicking rifle.
If you really find you like the No1 you can trade your Sendero for a 300 Mag No1 later.
A 300 Mag No1 and a 416 No1 would make a good pair.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll look at that product, as I had to make my own shellholder jacket(out of leather, too)many years ago due to there not being too many fully adjustable offerings in the past. THANKS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to side-track this thread, but in Marine boot-camp, my cheek was a criss-crossed with case-burns from the M16 until our crusty old SSGT hooked me up with a makeshift clip deflector. I did get commended for my 300yd 'possible' despite being pummelled by the cases. The SSGT asked me why I didn't speak up, and I replied "I just figured it was normal for a lefty.......SIR!"

FLOL!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting project... I'm partial to the Ruger No1 if you can't tell. Smiler

I think the .416 Rem would be alot cheaper and easier to find brass and in a #1 with the longer throat you can warm it up just a tad and tinker with bullet seating depths.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote