Find
Notify
Tools

IAB Sharps problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hammer47
posted
Have a problem with my 45/70 IAB copy Sharps. The extractor is wobbling about and I found a setr screw on the bench after this problem started. Disassembled this evening and found where the screw goes but it seems there should be some kind of a spring to hold the extractor against the bbl when loading. Where can I find a schematic or diagram of the block mechanism to see where the broken/ missing part is? Regards...Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a normal Sharps, the extractor has no spring holding it in any position. I can't speak for the IAB version however.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did (does) the "set" screw go...somewhere on the extractor? I don't believe the origional 1874 Sharps had ANY set screws. The extractor pivots upon the breech block link pin and should be a fairly close fit. Maybe the hole in your extractor is too large allowing it to wobble on the pin? Or, there may be too much clearance between the breech block and receiver mortise. If so, a shim (thin washer) may tighten things up but building up (thickening) the bottom of the extractor by welding would be better. Also, did this problem develop over time or did it come with the rifle.
The Pedersoli website has a drawing of their 1874 Sharps. You might