New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland/Woodward 500-450
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
They do not come much nicer than this, Holland/Woodward 500-450 proofed for the tropical loading of 70 grs of cordite and a 480 gr bullet. Should be a joy to shoot with a 350 gr Hornaday RN. Cased and all original, built for George DuPont Pratt who was one of the heirs to the Standard oil fortune.

Posts: 227 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a treasure. Nice find there Steve.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grease the chambers?

Back in the 1950's shooters in the UK (and probably elsewhere) dipped the tips of their .303 bullets in grease before loading.
The idea was to lubricate the bore, but some grease often got on the chamber walls.
Several bolt heads were cracked, and I'm sure a spectator was hit in the thigh by part of one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful rifle! Great cartridge.

Has anyone seen a rifle chambered for the 500/450 3 1/4” not proofed for the 70gn Cordite load? The so called Tropical Load.

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's a beauty!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

quote:
Originally posted by rikkochet:
Grease the chambers?

Back in the 1950's shooters in the UK (and probably elsewhere) dipped the tips of their .303 bullets in grease before loading.
The idea was to lubricate the bore, but some grease often got on the chamber walls.
Several bolt heads were cracked, and I'm sure a spectator was hit in the thigh by part of one.

This action probably has 3-4 times the recoil abutment of a Lee Enfield, but extraction in older falling blocks was often marginal.
What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote