THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    "Extra Wood" for a Ruger #1 & Restocking a #1.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Extra Wood" for a Ruger #1 & Restocking a #1.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does Ruger offer upgraded wood for their #1? I have been looking at old Ruger catalogs and articles from 1960-70s Gun Digests and their wood 'used to' look much higher grade than the current stock sets. Is this just a sign of the times or do they offer upgraded wood? I like the looks of the wood offered on the 50th anniversary models especially. Is the factory easy to deal with in requesting higher grade wood if I sent them my action for stock replacement?

If the factory upgraded wood is not feasible, who would you recommend to restock a #1.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
NorthGaAire

NorthGaAire

Posts: 268 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
http://www.treebonecarving.com/id18.html

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think USA has just about exhausted its supply of high grade walnut. The nicest wood available for rifle stocks today comes from a region in Italy.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Beretta gets their wood from Bulgaria. They are from Italy aren't they.

hammering

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind factory wood and just want a fancier buttstock than you currently have, I would locate a rifle with a fancy buttstock on GunBroker or AuctionArms, buy it, swap buttstocks, and resell the new rifle with the original rifle's plainer wood. MUCH less expensive than a custom stock.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on Treebone.

I am already watching Gunbroker and I have even thought about sending my SS-LAM No.1 back to Ruger and asking them to swap the stocks to Walnut to see what they would supply.

Thanks,

NorthGaAire

Posts: 268 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For good blanks try http://www.hunterbid.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ruger wont sell you a stock straight out (they want to fit it to the rifle) and they wont put a walnut stock on a ss rifle......i already tried that. very frustrating

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger is funny that way. I guess they don't belive in the old adage that the customer is always right.
A pox on them. I was the Alex henry forearms put on my #1Bs but I'm not sending all my #1s to them. The shipping would bankrupt me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Service:

That is a feature-- you just can't get customer service just anywhere.

NorthGaAire

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The laminated stock on the stainless Ruger No. 1 is there for a reason: Stainless is more weather resistant, and the laminated stock is more weather resistant too.

If you want a No. 1 in stainless, it comes with a laminated stock. Just like a John Deere comes in green/yellow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
45/70....we are all aware of the qualities of the stainless/laminate combo, that wasnt the original question, some of us would just like the option of walnut as we think the laminate looks like dung.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger on Friday and was politely told that a SS No. 1 sporter in 45/70 could not be restocked in walnut because they were 'made different' and stocks were not interchangeable. I find that hard to believe. Do any of you have both the SS/Lam No 1 and the Blue/walnut version to be able to tell me if this is true? I will be surprized if they truly are different.

Thanks.

NorthGaAire

One of Us
posted Hide Post
say "A M E N " to the dung look of laminate

replacing it with walnut improves it 50 %

replacing the shiny metal with blued steel improves it another 50 % and brings it full circle to a real rifle

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give us a call or email. We do it all the time, and we've got some awesome wood. Will send photos on request. www.buckmountainrifleworks.com
276-773-3545

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger will not swap parts to create a non- cataloged configuration. Heck they will not even change a barrel from one caliber to another.
I wanted to change a #3 over from 45-70 to 375 Win and they would not even rebarrel it unless it was in the same caliber.

And laminated wood especially the grey laminated stuff looks worse than do-do.
My brother has a Ruger M77 stainless with a walnut stock that is a great looking combination.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote