New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens falling block HELP!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last week I ran across a Strvens falling block rifle chambered in 22lr. This gun is at a local gun shop and the owner of the shop is selling the rifle for a friend. He has $500 on it. I think that it is a "side plate" model. It has a heavy barrel with a globe front sight the barrel appears to have been dove tail cut for the Weaver target scope that is on it. In other words, I dont think that the dove tail cuts are original.

The butt plate is a swiss type and the rear tang sight is missing. The blueing is very good on the reciever and ok on the barrel. The rifling looks to be ok on the bore.

I am debating on picking this one up. I know that this gun would be worth double or even triple if the scope had not been mounted on it and the tang sight was still there.

Any suggestions.

Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy it!

Lose no time at all. Purchase it as quickly as possible. If you don't like it, sellit to me.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My name is on it until Monday. After further discussion with a friend this falling block is most likely a 044 1/2 or a model 45. I am probally going to get it. I will dump the scope and pick up a tang sight for it. I want it as original as possible.

Thanks for the imput. Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very NICE!

The one I am looking at does not have the set trigger. Is the engraveing on that one original? That sure is a looker. Yours?

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Retired Jeff,

You have posted a picture of a Stevens 44 1/2, very nice too.

I'd like very much to corrispond a bit with you about the 44 1/2. Yours appears to be a new production CPA Stevens. Am I right?

Anyway, new or not, I will be getting a new CPA Stevens very soon and will then undertake the final finshing of the semi-finished wood.

I need more and better looks at well finished 44 1/2's such as yours so I will be enabled to do this finish job myself as well as possible.

Would you post here or would you prefer email direct for more and better looks at your rifle?

Good afternoon,
Forrest
FAsmus@yahoo.com

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle came home with me today [Big Grin] Wife likes it too, she says that its pretty! I cleaned the dust off and now I need to get the correct tang safety for it. Any ideas guys?

I too would like to see more on that rifle Jeff. Where can I get one of those scopes?

Thanks for the help and encouragement guys!

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, it's the nite before... and I'm outa town visiting.

The rifle is an original CPA and I had the stock fitted and bedded by CPA.

It's an extra fancy fiddleback maple. The engraving was done for me by Ken Hurst (a master engraver) and he also made the stain for me using boiled alcanet root and turpentine. The color case hardening is not the Stevens look, it is however correct for the general period and was handled by Classic Guns. I actually did the sanding, staining and finish (Varathane satin spray). My original plans were to have the classic stevens checkering, but I've changed my mind. Checkering will change the look and feel and I believe that in this particular case it wouldn't look right for my tastes.

The scope is a Lyman Super Targetspot, 20x and has been out of production for over 20 years. The are available on eBay along with Unertl's, Feckers and Litschert's.

Gail at CPA and Ken Hurst helped me plan the rifle and obtain the look that I wanted.

Barrels are: 218 Mashburn 26", 30-40 Krag 28" and 38-55 30"

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

OK, a very nice rifle too!

If you have had the chance to check, how does the swap-barrel feature work? That is, is the accuracy from each barrel as good as might be expected from a singleshot action barreled up soild with the same cartridges?

Are other shots of the rifle available? I'm interested in forend/receiver fits and how, exactly, the buttstock looks at the small of the stock where it fits the receiver.

This is Christmas Day of course. Here in Wyoming it is crystal clear and about 15 degrees F.

Merry Christmas,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

I've only been out with the rifle twice and am developing loads at the present. Seems to have excellent potential for all three barrels. The Mashburn is shooting about an inch at 100 yards with unformed brass and very cheap Rem fmj's. The 30-40 isn't working well at all with cast, but that takes time to develop. 30-40 is shooting about 1/2 inch with 190 MK's. And the 38-55 goes bang. I've only put 10 rounds down the tube, half was zeroing the scope and I have no real data to report on. Lost a lot of shooting time as others wanted to look and talk on the last outing. Gail warned me about that!!Don't know when I'll get back to the range.

When I get back home I'll take some close up pictures of the fit and send them to you.

merry xmas and stay warm

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I really like the looks of your project rifle. I would like to refinish the one I just picked up. My reciever is finished in a nice deep blue as is the barrel. I am thinking about case hardening the reciever yours is awsome. I would be interested in future up dates on your gun if you would not mind updating me to...

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Thanks for the post.

J: I've only been out with the rifle twice and am developing loads at the present..The 30-40 isn't working well at all with cast..

F: I once had a fine Krag 30/40. This was long ago, but I found that it would shoot 311284 over 48 grains H4831 very well indeed. The load is about full-tilt for the case, but still well within cast bullet limitations.

J: (I) Don't know when I'll get back to the range.

F: Snow? Rain? or just plain muddy?

J: When I get back home I'll take some close up pictures of the fit and send them to you.

F: Thanks very much. I'll maintain contact as my project continues.

Good evening,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay

The color case hardening was arranged by Ken Hurst who did the engraving. If you plan on having any special metalwork done on the receiver, it must be done before the case work. The hardening process makes the surface too hard for engraving or drilling and tapping.

John Gillette of Classic Guns did the work on my action, lever and buttplate. Both he and Ken Hurst are super folks to work with. Classic Guns is located ijn Beecher, Illinois (708-946-6141)

Ken is here in North Carolina (252-795-6670) hursteng@beachlink.com

Both are masters at their profession and are generous with their time in helping folks.

Hope this helps

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Does your rifle have any of the factory markings? My rifle has the serial number on the bottom tang and the same number is on the barrel (just ahead of the fore end and on the bottom side).

Other than the serial numbers there are no other markings on my gun. Should there be any other markings?

Thanks for your help.
Jay

posted Hide Post
I have a Stevens mod 44 ( I think ) it has the globe front sight and the rear tang sight.Its a 22 LR. bore is rough but the gun is pretty good no pitts rust or dings.not alot of blueing or browning left.Im trying to find the value so I can sell it for something I can use. any help. Thanks

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton In USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bowmeister,

I paid $500 for my 44 1/2 last week and I feel that I got a good deal. My rifle is missing the tang sight and has dove tails cut in the barrel for the scope that is on it. My blueing is in nice shape as is the condition of the stock and forend.

In my Fladerman's Guide it shows the No. 44 at $250 for very good and $650 for excellent condition.

I am interested in your tang sight if you are willing to part with it.

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay

Just got back from a visit to Richmond and saw you post.

My 44 1/2 CPA is marked on the top tang 'CPA Ambler, PA'.

The serial number is on the bottom of the action between the barrel set screw and the lever pivot point. All barrels are marked 'Paul Shuttleworth' on the top flat with the caliber being marked on the left side flat. Additional markings are on the bottom barrel flat indicating manufacturer, bore and twist rate.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay

What type of scope was mounted on your rifle?

Is it one with the Unertl style bases? With the schuetzen style buttplate a scope is not out of place and should not impact value.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bowmeister

You might want to check out the schuetzen board at http://groups.msn.com/Schuetzen And mention the availability of your rifle. There's a good chance of getting some interest.

regards

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

The scope that I have on my rifle is a Weaver K20 it has seen better days I am sure. Its not terrible but it is kinda foggy. I tolk my rifle to a shop to see about getting it cleaned up. They qouted me a price of $475 to have the reciever, lever and butt plate re-case colored and to have the barrel re-blued too. I think that I may do that later this year. I am keeping an eye out for a original tang sight. I would like to get one of these for it more than anything else.

Have you been out with yours? If it shoots as good as it looks it should shoot one holers all day long.

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay

Just for comparison purposes. The Color Case Hardening for my action, lever and buttplast cost $215.00 from Classic Guns in Beecher Illinois.

You might want to give John Gillette a call @ 708-946-6141 he's a terriffic guy to work with. What really surprised me was after he did my work, he called me to make sure that I was happy with the results. I'm sure that you'd be pleased with their work.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff,

If you dont mind, did you send him your complete gun or did you disassemble the gun and send only the parts that he worked on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stripped action, lever and buttplate.

I know that they also do blueing the old fashioned way, you know, the real deep dark blue.

Also, I had a wee bit of luck in the timing, my turnaround time was exactly one week.

If you decide to call them, mention that you were referred by me and Ken Hurst. I know that you will get great service as they restore vintage rifles, pistols and shotguns.

You will also save some money if you polish the metalwork before sending it in. Ask them...

good luck

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I spoke to a gun smith that deals in old guns on Friday. He Told me that the Swedish butt plate on my rifle should be finished in nickel not case color. Any thoughts on that. I think that I would like it case color hardened anyway.

Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay

I'd say do what pleases you the most. Your gunsmith may indeed be correct. I've seen them plated and not and engraved and not. However, this type of rifle is not the typical rack piece from Tower, Klein's (both out of business) or Kmart. These are individual pieces that were typically built to customer specs. My buttplate is color cased because that's what I wanted.

My eye, my wants and my money = my rifle.

You should do what you want regardless of any other opinion. It's your rifle, make yourself happy.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I am going to take your advice and go with the Case color on the butt plate. As you may have noticed, I picked up the Browning B78. I am going to focus on the restoration of that rifle first then I will start working on the Stevens. I need some mentoring on that one. I should make a decision on how I want it to be done when its done. I would like the reciever, lever and as stated above, the butt plate case colored. That I am set on. But I need to decide if I want the rifle in its original configuration, scope or iron sights, original wood or higher grade wood. etc.

But at least I own the rifle and I don't need to be in a big hurry to get it done.

Thanks for the help you have given. Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay

Happy to help.

Anytime.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I have received my CPA 44 1/2 this week after only a 14 month wait.

I have two barrels for it. One in 44/63 Ballard and the other in 22RF, matched in weight & ballance.

I am doing the finish work on the stock myslf, which project will take awhile. I have already found your pictures helpful for planning how I will figure the buttstock.

I am running into problems because CPA didn't leave ANY extra wood on the semi-finished buttstock in the buttplate area.. I have not figured out exactly what to do about this.

I will keep in touch as this project continues.

Good morning,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

Call Gail and discuss it with her, I'm sure there's some reason. Perhaps she'll replace it with another.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Well, I'd rather not wait for yet another replacement piece for this rifle. I'll make it work somehow.

You see, this rifle has been something of a "hard-luck" item already, I won't detail it out, we've all had problems getting rifles right, certainly including Paul!

Not only that but I have already spent 8 hours inletting for the top and bottom tangs and the receiver part of the stock such that they will all fit the metal properly. I'm not about to do that all over again!

I will be carving/sanding wood all day tomorrow as well. There should be some progress to report soon.

Good evening,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE ON MY PROJECT

I found a source on a tang sight. Cape Outfitters has a proper tang sight for my Stevens. Correct hole spacing and all! They seem to have lots of interesting stuff on their site. Cheers! Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy450,

Watch out for the Stevens tang sight hole spacing! I may not be the actual 1.500 distance it appears to be at first.

I have a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 and the tang hole spacing is exactly 1.485, or 0.015 short of a full 1/2 inch.

Now, I'm not there to measure your rifle and it just might be as you say. Just remember: Measure twice, cut once.

Good morning,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Thanks for the advice. I did check out with calipers and it is 1 1/2. Thanks for reminding me.

On another note... I went to an antique gun show last weekend. It was in Novi Michigan. It was a good show. I saw a couple of $3500+ Stevens there. They were of the "Walnut Hill" verity. One had a nice Unertl scope. Also saw one with a Lyman 10 power target spot scope too. Another one that I saw was a 32-20 44 1/2 I would have liked to take that one home with me but I did not have a thousand to spend. [Mad]

There were a lot of Stevens rifles in the $500-$1000 range and most of them were in much worse shape than mine so I was very happy to follow the advise of those who advised me to pick up my rifle.

Thanks again,
Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy Jay

In this game you only need to please yourself.

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I have finally completed the stock finishing of my 44 1/2 to the place that shooting it was possible.

I first assembled the 22RF barrel for shooting indoors at 50 feet since it is well known that "Rifle Strain" my result if an untried rifle is fired at long range without first "getting into shape" at reduced ranges. Any such rifle strain may last for months, making eventual long range shooting difficult at best.

The RF shooting went very well. I gained 30 points in my offhand 100 shot scheutzen score on the very first day I tried it out.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

Sounds like a great 'first date'!

I'll bet that your heart was really pumping!

jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

Today was another day with the high of -4 degrees F, overcast and blowing snow.

Indoor shooting at its best. The 22RF barrel on the 44 1/2 did better yet, shooting a 2348 in the 100 Shot Scheutzen Offhand match.

This being another gain of 19 points over the first time out with the Stevens was wonderful stuff.

Now all I have to do is show gains of 20-some points each week: By May I'll be shooting straight 2500's!

I find the set-trigger and heavy, stable 12+ pound rifle working very well in this shooting. I will have to continue lifting weights to maintain anything like a steady hold though; by the 100th shot the rifle becomes kind of heavy.

Good evening,
Forrest