New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 10
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of ordering one of these rifles.Does anyone know what the turn around time is and amount of deopsit.

Thanks

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In view of their recent bankruptcy and re-organization with the new old owners I would order it through a dealer. That way you would have your deposit with someone who has the ability and inclination to refund your deposit if it hits the fan. I have no ax to grind and in fact have bought two Dakotas in the past month. I would order it through First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD. Mark from First Stop is a great guy and would probably be willing to go hand select wood on your behalf. You would probably pay less to boot and if you have something to trade work that out to boot.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along the same lines with what LJS said, if I were thinking of any Dakota, I wouldn't order it from Dakota. I would either buy a complete rifle from a dealer or buy an action/barreled action from somewhere and have an ACGG gunmaker build a rifle from that.

Dakota's status is too shakey for that type of investment over that time period for me right now. The risk is too high.

Have you considered a Hagn?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

Or when the grandchildren head for home......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I share a booth at the Dallas Safari club show with a friend. He has ( I think he still has it) a beautiful Dakota 10 in .300 win mag. Blued reciever, very nice wood. If you would like me to put you in contact with him, let me know. BTW< it is in New condition. If it has been shot, it has been so few time it doesn't show any evidence of it.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Bailey is finding out, single shot rifles are 99% about esthetics, the look of the rifle is everything. For me the 10 just looks...odd. They seem to shoot well, are quality workmanship, the few I have seen; just leave me a bit cold.

JMHO

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

The Dakotas do have a very straight look overall. Not quite as atractive in line as a Ruger#1, but I still like them.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey I have to disagree with you. I have a couple Rugers and a couple Dakotas. The Dakotas feel great in hand and balance well. The Rugers are clubby and generally do not shoot as well. I like the Rugers and feel they are great values but don't match up with the Dakotas. In a heavy bore the Ruger is fine but in a 6.5x55 or 7x57 give me the Dakota.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,

I do agree that the Dakotas balance better than the #1 Rugers. I haven't shot a Dakota, but could imagine they are better handleing and more consistent. I was only referring to the asthetic appeal of the Ruger over the Dakota. Not that the Dakotas aren't beautiful rifles, just that the Ruger has a more elegant line.

As an engraver, I have a lot of interest in how sound a gun (or any other tool..knives for instance) is artisticly. The Ruger isn't perfect, but it's a tad bit closer than the Dakota. I know....this has nothing to do with performance. Get rid of the trigger and forend issue of the #1, slim it down a little, and the market would be awefull narrow minded towards single shots.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Bailey...to my eye the Dakota #10 stock is to straight as are some of the Martini & Hagens I have seen.....I like a little more curve in the pistol grip to get my big mitt around,ie. total contact with the inside of the palm...... Smiler