New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large barrel on Ruger No. 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How large (in diameter) a barrel could a ruger No 1 handle? That is, without hitting the metal extension in front of the receiver. Mori

Posts: 59 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ruger # 1 Guy
posted Hide Post
1.190 to 1.200 at the receiver.
Ruger # 1 Guy

Posts: 28 | Location: At the Range | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fit an inch and an eighth octagon barrel in 45-120 to one several years ago.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
sharpshooter...very cool man. what barrel and how long? you have the very gun ive wanted to build so the more info the better...scope mounts? how does she recoil with the heavy barrel?

i just took a 45-120 barrel off a browning as the chamber wasnt all it could be...it had been buggered a bit so im having it rebarreled with a #4 winchester taper green mountain barrel. but i also have an older ruger that is begging for a rebarrel to something fun and the 45-120 qualifies as FUN!!

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I built a No1 in 45/120 some years ago, 28" octoganal barrel, french walnut stock with 26line per in checkering and topped with a Lyman 10X 'All American"

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mori, lets use my 50 and make a 500 Nitro. We can then compare how they shoot with my Farquarson when we finish the stocking.
That way we can both limp around with sore shoulders.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My younger brother beat me out of it a year ago. He promised to come to Quigley and shoot it. It just makes silhouette weight. My Ondrus/Wickliffe weighs nearly 16lbs, but it will come down after I finish playing with loads.

They are just so much fun, especially if you shoot Black or 777 in it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote