Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT TO HAVE A HIGHWALL
 Login/Join

posted
I AM NOW 50 YEARS OLD, LOVE OPEN SIGHTS AND MY EYES AREN'T GETTING ANY BETTER. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED AN 1885 HIGHWALL IN 45/70. I'VE BEEN SHOOTING 45/70 ALL MY LIFE AND LOVE IT. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT THE STRENGTH OF UBERTI HIGHWALL? I'M ALSO LOOKING AT C. SHARPS HIGHWALL. I'M SURE THE STRENGTH OF C.SHARPS IS VERY GOOD BUT CAN'T FIND OUT ANYTHING ABOUT UBERTI. I LIKE TO LOAD MY 1895 MARLIN PRETTY HOT BUT NOT CRAZY AND WOULDN'T WANT ANYTHING ANY WEAKER THAN THE MARLIN 1895, NOT THAT THEY ARE WEAK ,THEY AREN'T. HOW DO YOU ALL LOAD YOUR UBERTI? THANKS FOR ANY REPLY

Posts: 3 | Location: ELKIN N.C. | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCP:

JBC: CAN'T FIND OUT ANYTHING ABOUT UBERTI..

F: Go over to the Ballard Rifles site. They make one of the very best reproduction High-Walls in the country.

http://www.ballardrifles.com/

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I told myself the same thing last year when I got some, except I am 63. I see some Browning 1885s for sale on the auction sites. I think you would have better value if you wish to sell, if you get a Browning or Sharps. I have a 25-06 I really like.No question about the Ballards, but are they not very expensive??

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy,

you say: No question about the Ballards, but are they not very expensive?

F: Higher than the average I think, but worth it.

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Forrest. Thats what I thought. I looked at that web site awhile back and decided I could do with the Brownings. After using both the Browning and the Ruger No 1. I think I like the Ruger better because I am a tad uncmfortable with the exposed hammer.
Donovan

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Donovan,

D: I think I like the Ruger better because I am a tad uncmfortable with the exposed hammer.

F: Rugers are a good strong design all right, but we in the singleshot rifle game don't use them much because of the difficulty of mounting a tang sight on the short receiver and the way Ruger hangs the forend is a problem as well. All around, I'll take the exposed hammer!

Good evening,
Forrest

posted Hide Post
I VERY MUCH LIKE THE TANG SIGHT AND THE EXPOSED HAMMER. THAT IS SOME OF THE BETTER THINGS ABOUT THE 1885. I'M KIND OF SHYING AWAY FROM UBERTI BECAUSE OF LACK OF INFO. MARLIN,REMINGTON,RUGER AND THE LIKE TELL YOU WHAT METAL THEY MAKE THEIR FIREARMS FROM. IF THEY DON'T WANT ME TO KNOW, I HAVE TO ASK WHY? THE PEEP SIGHT IS ALSO A WONDERFUL DEVISE FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE PERFECT EYE SIGHT, SO I WOULD REQUIRE A TANG ALSO

Posts: 3 | Location: ELKIN N.C. | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCP -
I have an original highwall, and I highly recommend finding an original and rebuilding it if necessary.

But if I were not to go that route, I would buy a Browning Highwall on the used market or a Ballard. The latter is one hell of a gun but the former is its equal in everyway but looks and price.

Dont' know a lot about the Uberti highwall, but I've been underwhelmed with a Uberti Dragoon that I used to own. Note the full implication of "used to own"....

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way to go IMO for a new high wall is Meecham Arms they are in line cost wise of Ballard and C. Sharpes

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
JCB,
Do yourself a favor and go ahead and find a highwall. Bought mine two Xmas's ago and I can not blevie how good this rifle shoots, how beautiful, and how accurate. You can leave with open sights or put a scope on. There is nothing outside of africa that this gun won't drop.

I personally use BarnesX bullets 300-350HP's, followed up with 50 gr of IMR4198. The 350 gr bullet is moving at almost 1900-2000fps! At 200 yds the bullet doesn't drop! But your head rocks!
Don't worry about the action. It can take it.