THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Re: Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Scope Bases, photo?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Scope Bases, photo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone show me a picture of an 1885 with a smallish (say, 2-7x32mm) modern scope and mounts on this rifle? What bases? Rings? Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the mounts were Browning but checking they are stamped Burris. I assume then that the rigs are also Burris. Mine are about 10 years old.The rear attaches to the top front of the receiver and the front is cut to fit the octagon shape of the barrel .This is the original 1885 version of 10 years ago. It will take me a while to figure out the nphoto proceedure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the new ones(heavy barrel 243). It is the B78 (no tangs), not the 1885. Don't have time for a picture right now, but it came from the factory with a one piece base that fits the barrel. The base is sort of prow shaped on the front. Rings are verical split with a gold browning logo on both sides. They are marked Talley. Pad on the rifle is marked Pachmeyer. Gun really shoots.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reason I asked was that I just got a new reproduction Winchester (Miroku) 1885 with tang sight and am not sure whether I'm going to be able to deal with the open sight. The rifle looks so nice without a scope that I was afraid it'd look silly with one and I wanted to see how others' rifles looked.

In the meantime, I found a super deal on a 1.5-5x32 scope and ordered it. Hasn't yet arrived but I ordered 2 different Weaver bases (#11 & #29) in hopes they'll fit, plus a set of Burris Zee rings. Then today in a fit of impatience and uncertainty I ordered the Leupold base and Burris Std Med. rings on the chance the Weaver's don't fit.

So one way or the other I'll have my own photos of the set-up, Weaver or Leupold, next week. And maybe will have shot the rifle by then too.

The weather here's not been great for trying to set up a chronograph and shoot a new gun - its' either dark when I get home from work or windy as hell and snowing (this weekend and last). Tonight's still and clear and closing in on 0 F but tomorrow is supposed to be near 20 with sunshine and minimal wind. That'd do!

-WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reason I asked was that I just got a new reproduction Winchester (Miroku) 1885 with tang sight and am not sure whether I'm going to be able to deal with the open sight. The rifle looks so nice without a scope that I was afraid it'd look silly with one and I wanted to see how others' rifles looked.

In the meantime, I found a super deal on a 1.5-5x32 scope and ordered it. Hasn't yet arrived but I ordered 2 different Weaver bases (#11 & #29) in hopes they'll fit, plus a set of Burris Zee rings. Then today in a fit of impatience and uncertainty I ordered the Leupold base and Burris Std Med. rings on the chance the Weaver's don't fit.

So one way or the other I'll have my own photos of the set-up, Weaver or Leupold, next week. And maybe will have shot the rifle by then too.

The weather here's not been great for trying to set up a chronograph and shoot a new gun - its' either dark when I get home from work or windy as hell and snowing (this weekend and last). Tonight's still and clear and closing in on 0 F but tomorrow is supposed to be near 20 with sunshine and minimal wind. That'd do!

-WSJ

I have two of these rifles, one in 375H&H with a 2-7x32 Vortex Viper mounted (Leupold bases, Millet engraved rings). I too was nervous about ruining the lines of the gun with a modern scope, but I just couldn't get low enough on the stock to effectively use the barrel mounted sights comfortably.

I also have one in 45-70 which used to wear a 1.5-5x20 Simmons scope. After about 100 rounds, the Simmons came apart internally. so I have another Vortex on the way... which I guess says something positive about the appearance of the Vortex on this gun (at least in my mind).

I think a bigger (40mm+) scope would look out of place. I think a 20mm objective looks better.

Let me know how those weaver bases work out. There is a considerable difference in height-above-bore between the front and rear mount locations. I was unaware there was another option for these guns besides the Leupold mounts.

By the way, SWFA.com has a hell of deal going on the 2-7x32 Vortex Vipers. They are close-out for $169 and are a hell of a buy at that price.

I will try to remember to post a pic later tonight.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's mine... not sure what length barrel yours has, but this is a 28" octagonal.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I can do,
Browning 1885
454 Casull
2.5 x 8 x 36 Leupold

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a Leupold shotgun scope , 1x4 ,Which has no bell on front.I thought that more approppriate for a 45-70 .It's been cut to 22".

one of us
posted Hide Post
This a .17HBR Low wall rimfire,

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me know how those weaver bases work out. There is a considerable difference in height-above-bore between the front and rear mount locations. I was unaware there was another option for these guns besides the Leupold mounts.

Well a fellow on another site said they worked for him but I don't know if he had to shim the front or not. I got the scope and Zee rings yesterday and sort of try-mounted the scope. I think it would work without shims but the elevation adjustment would be quite far out so I took it off and am awaiting delivery of the Leupold bases and standard rings and will see just which is better. Weaver's fitment guide says the back will fit the 1885 OK but warn that the front may require 'adjustment.' Probably correct.

BTW the scope is a Nitrex 1.5-5x32 that Natchez has clearanced for $129.99 plus an additional $50 mail-in rebate from Nitrex. Regular price on that scope is $289 (same as its Weaver Grand Slam clone). Som similar savings on other clearanced Nitrex optics.