New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No 1 in 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've posted about this on "Small Cailbers" and "Gunsmithing" too, sorry for this but I don't know any other way now that the number of forums have multiplied!

I'm considering a new small game rifle. Ranges will be short and the cartridge I've chosen is the 22 Hornet. I'm leaning towards a Ruger No 1.

Do any of you have any experience with the 22 Hornet in the Ruger No 1? Is this a good combination?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the same rifle in the 218 Bee? I came close to buying the Hornet, but finally decided on the Bee instead and I am very happy with it. With the right loads I have been getting 3000fps(+/-) with excellent accuracy. I think the Bee is a much better choice.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
craigster,

unfortunately the .218 Bee is virtually unheard of over here. The Hornet is fairly common so cases and/or factory ammo will be easy to come by.

But I imagine that the Bee must be similar to the Hornet in handling and such. How do you like it in the Ruger?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wachtel,

I really like the combination. You may have to have some work done on the trigger, they usually aren't the greatest from the factory. I use a 4x12 Nikon scope on it which is about right for the range limitation of the Bee. If the Bee stuff is that hard to come by over there, then go with the Hornet. Work up a good load and you will have lots of fun, I'm sure.

craigster

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Too bad there's no Hornet or Bee in the 1A!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a #1 that used to be a .22 Hornet, now is a .22 K-Hornet. Didn't shoot well as a Hornet so had the chamber reamed, forend bedded proberly and installed a Mowry trigger. Loaded with Hornady 45 gr Hornets and Lil' Gun it shoots in the 7's at 3200 fps. Nosler 40 gr BT's at 3400-3500 w/ erratic velocity. wouldn't trade it for anything, but that was after the work. You might find the CZ a better choice for the Hornet. Lot handier rifle, as is the Ruger 77/22H.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote