New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, I picked a K95
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's in 6.5 CM. I shoot barnes bullets in it. Very accurate. Scoped. I am going to thread the barrel I think. Now, my question is if I get a second barrel set up with iron sights what caliber? I don't want one that kicks the crap out of me. Primary use would be medium size animals, hogs, deer, Axis and maybe oryx..with the 6.5 nothing I've shot has taken a single step. Just falls down. Just wanted to look at options. What would yall recommend

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, best and most accurate single shot made, IMHO. You're right....don't get a big caliber. Even a 30-06 is a bit much for the little K95, but it would take care of bigger game. I've always kept mine in the 308, 6.5x55, 7x57 range.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I have and still do shoot a 7x57 so I have all the reloading set up for that. That might be a good choice.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Biebs said, the 30-06 is a bit lively in the gun.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll skip the 06. I don't care for them. Biggest I shoot is 7x57. Bullet choice and placement is after that but that's why I hunt with single shot.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a k95 in 8x57. It seemed just fine off the bench so I would think a 30-06 would not be a problem (assuming you like those ballistics).

My first choice would probably be a 280 Rem or 7x64 if it were an option. The 7x65 would be a PITA here in terms of components.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One can never go wrong with a 7x57..I culled buffalo as a guest one day some years ago as a guest with a borrowed mod 95 Mauser and old green paper sack full of milsurp stuff probably from the Boer wars, that fired only half the time! Twas an interest hunt that went well..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Some what late on this thread ....

K95 - sweet !! What scope ?
Super single shot rifle and usually very very accurate out of the box! Shame it is a CM and not a Swede ... just saying Wink

Second barrel ..... uuuhhhmmmm ...... the CM will do almost everything bar seriously large game so I would look down the tables and would go for a .223 or a .243 and then you have all bases covered from varmints to large antelope and the likes ! That's what I would look at....

K95 .... a great gun - pictures?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, the scope is a Lecia i moved the scope from a bolt gun. . With one of them turn a red dot thingy on. I've killed several hogs using it when too dark for iron sights.
Yes, for right now it's taken hogs and Axis just fine. I use Barnes lrtx 127 bullet. Yep, dang accurate gun.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have barrels in 222, 6.5X55 and 30/06. I don't think the '06 is too much. A 9.3 X74R barrel will kick a bit.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote