Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger # 1, .260 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rik
posted
Just thought I'd share a project which should be completed in the next few weeks. About 2 years ago I bought a used #1 .270 Win. with 22 in. light barrel, no sights. A check of the serial number at the Ruger web site indicate it was made in 1981. It seemed to be in good shape but I have no idea how often it was fired. I put over 600 rounds through it, did the usual process of working up various loads. Accuracy was inconsistent. Sometimes great, sometimes so so. I don't know if the throat was burned out but 150 grain bullets had to be seated way out to come close to the lands. Rebedding the forend and rubber washers didn't seem to make much difference I figured I had a good excuse to have it rebarrelled. The short light barrel never did seem quite proper. I chose a gunsmith with a good reputation in B.C. for his work on #1s who also knows how to bed the forends properly. I've always been fascinated with 6.5s but never owned one. Decided to go with 260 Rem with 1 in 8" twist barrel. It seems to have a slight edge on the 6.5x55 and I wasn't feeling very traditional that day. I must admit thought that dies are harder to find. I got a set from Hornady. I've always liked their seaters. I decided to go with a Pac-Nor, chrome moly, 26 inch, medium Palma contour with Ruger 2 piece varmint bases. My gunsmith says those bases have consistently shown better accuracy. Also the Palma contour has a 5 inch shank with lots of room for the bases. I know it will weigh a ton but I want this rifle for frequent shooting and occasional hunting. The gunsmith had me send a dummy round seated as I want the throat cut. I used a 140 nosler part with the base even with the bottom of the case neck and asked him to give me that plus .05". Also I made up the dummy round with fired 243 cases sized in my 260 rem die. These cases made contact with the die shoulder and I'll have the chamber cut accordingly hopefully giving me equivalent of a custom die. Also will have the neck cut for turned cases. I've ordered a neck turning kit from Sinclair. The gunsmith rough cut the chamber before he went on vacation a few weeks ago and promised to finish the job on return. Waiting in eager anticipation is a gross understatement. I have a new Dewey cleaning rod, dies, components and ready to go. I'll post the range results after barrel break in. Rick

Posts: 38 | Location: Coquitlam, BC | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Good project. It should be a nice caliber in the No.1. However, IMO any edge it has on the 6.5X55 is due to its being loaded to a higher pressure level, which is something you COULD do with the 6.5X55 also, if shooting it from a Ruger No. 1!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rik
posted Hide Post
agreed,in fact the Barnes manual gives an edge to the 6.5x55. it was a coin toss.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just curious, everyone seems to love the 6.5x55, but what about the 6.5x57??? I know it is just the 7x57 necked down, but is uses the standard .473 bolt face.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Especially when shooting in a #1, why not the 6.5/06? I prefer a longer case to ease the loading of the action as the scope always seems in the way. Of course you could always rechamber after the 260 has run it's course.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking that a stainless/laminated #1 in 256 Newton would be a neat 6.5mm!

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
I have been thinking that a stainless/laminated #1 in 256 Newton would be a neat 6.5mm!

Jeff

Now I think THAT is a gret idea!! (As long as you never need to use factory ammo, of course.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rik
posted Hide Post
nice to see so much interest in 6.5. A very versatile calibre in any of the possible cartridges. The reason I decided not to go with something larger like 6.5/06 or other magnum is I want to shoot this rifle a lot and want maximum barrel life and accuracy. Also I know my 2 older daughters will enjoy shooting it. I just bought a Bushnell 3200 3-10X40 for it. Very pleased with the eye relief on it. Gunsmith advises he's just waiting for bases to arrive. Everything else done but those and bluing.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Did you ever get this gun built?

Wondering how it shot if so. Loads.....Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rik
posted Hide Post
Indeed it is built and shoots fine. I will get pictures soon. Been working out of town and little time for the things I love to do but have been in some awesome remote country where I will hunt next year when I have more time. The rifle exceeds my expectations. The barrel is 27.5 inch and very heavy. I will weigh it soon. I did the barrel breakin with moderate loads of H4831SC and sighted in at the same time, then moved to IMR 4350 with 140 HornadySST and 140 Nosler Part. Both provided excellent accuracy with 42 grains, groups as little as 5/8 in. at 100. I hit the 6x6 gongs at 200 yards with boring regularity. Both bullets are seated with bases not below bottom of neck and close to lands. The SST is a little longer. I must put those over a chrono soon.

No doubt the rifle is capable of better accuracy than I am but that will change. With the weight I can shoot as much as I want in complete comfort - nothing remotely resembling recoil. And I did build it to shoot a lot!

I just love the balance and feel of that long heavy barrel
Rick

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I have one Pac-Nor built in 6BR 8 twist, 26"
Kepplinger trigger.

Shoots NICE.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote