THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Best way to add weight to a No. 1?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to add weight to a No. 1?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a 378 weatherby on a No. 1 Tropical (28 inch barrel), and would like to add weight to the rifle for a total weight of around 11 lbs. For now, I will keep the original laminate stock.

How does one artfully add weight to a No. 1?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Most common method is adding lead to the stock. One method is to make plastic tubes up of various lenghts add shot til you get the wieght you want. Drill stock and insert. My problem isas I get older I'm going the other way, lighter and lighter. My No. 1 in 45-70 with heavy loads really is as much recoil as I want. Most practice is with lighter loads for offhand practice. Use the heavy loads last couple of weeks before the hunt.

Posts: 7 | Location: Centeral Wisconsin | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that a heavy barrel would get you up to 11 lbs. easy enough(or close to it)...I have a C.Sharps in 40-90SS that weighs 11.25 lbs with a 32" 1/2 oct. 1/2 round barrel... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unlike the Sharps the Ruger #1 has a forearm hanger that limits barrel diameter. The "Tropical" barrel is about as large (in dia.) as you can go without major mods. But, a 28" round "Tropical" size barrel with minimal taper should add pound or so over the standard one.
Is your new 28" barrel already installed? If so then I guess adding weight to the buttstock is the only option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a mercury tube in the draw bolt hole. A pound is pretty easy to add and the mercury does seem to help with the recoil more than just static weight. A tube in my 375 Holland #1 makes a world of difference, but I am a bit recoil sensitive.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Josh A said!!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mercury or some bird shot (if you're worried about the environment Smiler. You can also mill out a trough in the forend & pour some shot in the trough & pour a little epoxy in to keep it there.
I like a little heavier gun too. Even my deer rifles, I like to be 8# or more. I carry one all day with no problems and they are much easier to shoot well; especially when you're fatigued from walking or climbing Smiler. I try to get my customers to get their Big bores (.375 & up) over 10# with scope & sling. They've ALWAYS thanked me for that advice.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My other gun is a 458 Lott No.1 - at 9.25 lbs, it is way too light for that cartridge. As I build my 378 weatherby (which many have said kicks harder & sharper than a 458 Lott), proper weight is a important issue as I have no intention of using a muzzle brake.

Thanks for all the advice, what a great group we have here!

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bray, I just had this exact discussion with Mr. Hagn about the appropriate weight of a single shot in 375 Holland or 9.3x74R. He recommended 10 lbs., ready to hunt. For me light weights are just too hard to shoot accurately.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote