New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPA Stevens 44 1/2 rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am seriously considering ordering one of these in a relatively lightweight .38-55 hunting (sporter) rifle configuration. Does anyone have any experience with shooting these rifles, problems, pluses, etc? Good people to do business with?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two or three years ago I had Paul and Gail Shuttleworth build me a Stevens 44 1/2 replica silhouette rifle chambered in .32-40. My experience with them during the building process was delightful, and the final product exceeded my highest expectations. If you have any specific questions or want more info, don't hesitate to e-mail me at dmkernAZ@cox.net Dave / "trwdrk"

This is a cut & past from a friend who can't figure how to join.. his rifle is very nice..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. My only real regret is that their company is so far from my location that going to visit them is a real challenge. I am thinking of doing it for several reasons. One, to handle some of their rifles to get a feel for how they "feel" in my hands, balance vs barrel length, wt. etc. Two, to carry some of my English blanks up there and compare them with theirs to choose one. And, three, to decide on which type of lever I would like which also relates to my first reason. My initial communications with them have been very positive.

I'm not a traditionalist per se, I am planning on having a modern scope mounted on it, something like a 1.5 to 6x range, probably with a oct to round barrel for lighter weight, length to be determined.

I note that on their site they claim all the barrel makers they use to be equal, hard to believe, but I'm leaning towards a more premium product, at least in my opinion, than Douglas.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Gatagordo:

I shoot BPCR silhouette with a couple of guys that have the CPA's and they love their's. I have handled their guns, the workmanship is excellent and the guns shoot well. One guy has his set up to shoot four calibers; .22 Long Rifle, .40-72, .40-65, and .45-90. He says barrel and breechblock changes are a snap, and everything goes back together with tight tolerances. He has had his for three years, and shoots it a lot.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I've read nothing but good about them. The editor of the Single Shot Exchange has several and praises them. It's a very tempting rifle, but I don't care for set triggers, and it's been years since they offered a plain trigger.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are good rifles if you like the Stevens. I'm not fond of them for cosmetic reasons, but they shoot very well. Were I building one, I would strongly consider doing the wood finishing myself.

BTW, you could put a more traditional scope on it. A Fecker woodchucker or similar would be a fine hunting scope if you have to have one.

Brent

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, while I am still thinking of having one built, I short circuited the process a bit and bought one off the net in silhouette configuration in .40-65, looks like it has nice wood, am anxious to get it in my hands. I've never loaded for a .40-65 but I suppose an old dog can learn new tricks.

xxxxxxxxxx