New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was there ever a Ruger #2?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can't find any info on why there is a #1 & #3 but no #2.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
yukon--

There was some factory activity on a striker fired action like a Farquaharson, Dakota, Hagn in the early 70s. I suspect that was the Number 2 but sales were so slow on the original issue of the Number One it was scrapped.
Later, after production of a cheaper, less labor intensive Number One was resumed the cheaper yet Number 3 came out and served as a test bed/market survey of older, rimmed cartridges. Thanks to that we now have the 22 Hornet and 45-70 as popular calibers again.

The 30-40 Krag and 38-55 didn't fare as well.

<Big Bore Bob>
posted
No, there really wasn't. The "#2"'s that you see mentioned here are customized #3's, that incorporate some of the features of the #1, or improvements along that line. The #3 was a more utilitarian looking version of the #1 concept, with less gingerbread.

<JBelk>
posted
Big Bore Bob--

Hmmmmmm, I've done a bunch of Number 3s with Number One parts. I always called 'em Number Thirteens. [Smile]

<eldeguello>
posted
There was never a No. 2 available in normal trade channels. Whether there was a prototype, J. Belk would know.... I had always believed the No. 1 did pretty well when introduced, but don't know this for a fact. I bought my first one in 1968, and it is SN 6,XXX.

<Big Bore Bob>
posted
JBelk --

I kinda like that. I'll keep that in mind...