Find
Notify
Tools

Silk purse Baikal 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
A beautifully modified Baikal in 223 from the workshop of Chris Dawes in Canada....

....a close-up of this can be found in the checkering forum.

Roger

Sorry for the big pics but the checkering distorts if I reduce them any more....

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's nice.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Very nice stock work.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice. I did something similar with a H&R Handi rifle. 577NE and 500-110 and 30-30. My checkering is not as good as yours and I like your sights. Break open guns are cool. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the same Chris of "Dad's Lee-Enfield" fame, Roger?

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
One and the same

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That looks lovely all right. Fond of that standing express sight, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
One and the same

Roger

So the beautiful work on the Enfield wasn't just a one-off lucky fluke. Chris continues to make the rest of us up here look good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. How does it shoot ?

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I suppose it has the same weight as my .585 Hubel Express bolt action . . .

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some details on this project ? Remodeled factory wood or restocked ? Why the wrinkles on the bottom of the fore end tip ? Hammer forged barrel ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry guys I dont check in much ,this is new wood ,a little metal filed off the top of the receiver and a metal shotgun trigger guard filed to fit replacing the factory pot metal ,the rest is factory,the wrinkles you see on the forend tip is oil I wiped it down before the pics ,it is in fact very smooth horn ...this rifle was never intended to be a showpiece its just something I put together that was was cheap ,reliable and didn't look too bad -it shoots pretty good the triggers on these require a learning curve but on this one and another I own in 30-06 they aren't too bad and to be honest its been carried more than shot ,its main use is to sit over the gut piles of recently downed moose in hope of a coyote .

My new friend In Tasmania was very fond of what I did and posted pics on my behalf