New
Find
Notify
Tools

how much is it worth?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i came across a remington 40x. it is in 222remington with about a 22" inch heavy stainless barrel. a bench type stock with very wide forend. it has a remington 24x scope (i think they were made my unertl or lyman) and unertl type rings and bases. the gun is in great condition. how much is the gun worth? how much is the scope worth? and how much would both together be worth?

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
You may get a better response if you post this on the benchrest board as this is what this rifle is intended for. Everything Ive read about the 40s is that they are worth 500 to a 1000 bucks depending on condition - this one with the rem scope may be more::::::NV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting find!

I'd say the scope is rare. Very few were made and they were produced by the Remington custom shop around 1969-1972 as a companion to the 40 xbr rifle. One (24x)sold recently on eBay for $600 see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=310&item=1583989803

The mounts were made by Unertl, Glass (I don't know) the rest was strictly Remington Custom shop. They made both 20x and 24x scopes with the 24x being the rarest. Having the scope with the rifle should make the combination worth the most, I'd guess $ 1200 or better depending on condition.

You have a treasure.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote