Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riverduck
posted
On Saturday my brother and I went to the Cabela's store in Hamburg, PA. We were browsing through the "Fine Gun Room" when he spotted a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H; this is a gun he's always wanted and the price was $699 (if I remember right) so he WANTED this gun.

After examining it I noticed that the breech block had a little bit of back to front play in it when it was locked. In other words you could wiggle the breech block forward and backward about 1 mm when it was locked. I checked two other #1's both of which were solid, one of them was a used .300 Winchester. I recommended that he not buy the gun.

Question: Is a slightly loose breech block normal on a #1?

Posts: 3530 | Location: Land of Uz | Registered: 27 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Maybe. The question is, does it still wiggle fore and aft with a cartridge in the chamber. It should NOT. You can try it with an empty case to see. If it does, it needs to have the headspace checked with a proper headspace gauge.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 1 MM wiggle is ok, some of my # 1's have it some don't. It may still wiggle with new brass or one that has been full sized but if you only neck size it goes away.
Buy it, then you to can say what I always say.
Get er Done with a # 1
S/S

Posts: 30 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: 30 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Riverduck, are you from the Hamburg area?

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riverduck
posted Hide Post
Frederick, Maryland.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Land of Uz | Registered: 27 February 2007Reply With Quote