THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Took the fat lady to Africa and she had some fun!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the fat lady to Africa and she had some fun!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted
Some of you may recall the FAT LADY is a Ruger #1 rebarrelled to 9,3x74R a few years ago by Gary Reeder.

We call her the Fat Lady because once she sings, it's over.

She likes 286 Nosler Partitions pushed by Reloader 15.

Well, after taking an American Bison, Pronghorn, Desert Bighorn, and 5 or 6 deer, I finally flew her over the pond. We hunted in the Save Conservancy, Zimbabwe at Senuko concession with Peter Bernard as PH. Peter was both great and a ton of fun to hang with.

Anyway, Day 1: Zebra, 40 yards on the sticks, frontal chest, went about 30 yards after:

Day 2: Eland, about 75 yards sitting with sticks, frontal chest, ran in a 20-yard circle and piled up:

Day 3: Kudu, playing peek-a-boo in the canes along a river bed. First shot offhand was a THS at 30 yards just as he was turning around, second shot offhand at 25 yards was a heart
shot, third shot offhand at 25 yards broke his shoulder and put him down for good:

Day 4: Baboon way up on a kopje about 120 yards, standing on the sticks, one shot (my best shot of the hunt):

Day 6: Warthog, running away about 80 yards on the sticks, First shot broke his back and the second was a finisher:

Day 7: Baboon #2, running away in the grass about 75 yards:

Day 10: Baboon #3: About 90 yards on the truck hood, took TWO finishers, Very tough baboon Eeker

Night 10: He came in about 3 hours after we got in the blind, the only tom to hit any of our baits and then on the last day! 78 measured yards, we recovered him at first light the next morning in the rocks about 100 yards from the bait tree, after following the HUGE blood trail:

The only bullet recovered was a perfect mushroom fro the Eland's liver (that's 5-6 feet of penetration), but I haven't weighed it yet.

I think the Fat Lady will continue to be my main travelling companion for a while.........

Oh, we also shot a big buff with the .470 and a Genet AND a Serval with the 12 guage Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

BEST TRIP EVER!!!!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
That was a heck of a hunt! Congrats on the trophies! There is something special about taking game like that with a single-shot.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt & thanks for sharing.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LRH,

Waidmannsheil, Bubba; to you & the "Fat Lady" - 9.3x74R strikes again!

Great photos, good re-cap and that Leopard is simply Way-y-y too Cool - What a Trophy!

Obviously you read your Robertson 'cause it appears you smacked that Tom right through the middle of the heart!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do believe that the 9.3x74 is one of my favorites too.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to make a second barrel for my break action in 9.3x74r

Great hunt, grat trophies and thanks for sharing.

fat lady.....I love it.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be a pretty happy camper hunting anything in Africa with my Chapuis 9,3x74R. 9,3's just kill stuff with out a lot of fanfare.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I must agree with everyone else. Your recap was very well done. I felt as though I were there. Great photos and a beautiful rifle. Well done!

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice animals.
It's almost like I was there with you Big Grin

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Us Vegas boys seem to do all right in Africa! Congratulations on a successful hunt. That leopard hunt of yours reminds me alot of mine in 2008! Great cat! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LRH270, I believe I have seen that kudu alive :-)

Great story, Senuko is a great place.

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like it !!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity how big was the kudu?

Again great report.

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
LRH270, Congratulations on a superb experience. Love your Kitty.

Never enough Bab's...

What caliber are you looking for in that PPK?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and great pics! My son and I have just booked a Zim hunt, and we will both be taking Ruger no. 1s, only in 375 H&H. Can't wait!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Zwickie --

We didn't put a tape on him.

308 -

.380 preferably, but what you got? We should get together some time.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
That's a .22LR PPK-L version, great kit gun for the desert hikes, 11 ounces empty.

I shoot at DS several times a week, perhaps we will bump into one another.

Keep up the good work!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote