THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Re: 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter poor man�s 600 Nitro?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter poor man�s 600 Nitro?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You shouldn't use paper that is unnaturally opaque, or stiff, as it probably contains kaolin which is very abrasive. Avoid dyed papers as well. Envelopes of all types contain this material...it is very BAD. It will erode your already thin rifling. Get some onionskin, probably 24-30# for what you're doing. 9# for the thin stuff(.0025"), tracing or pattern paper for the real skinny(.0015"). For the velocity range you're working at, 50/50 Vaseline and Beeswax is a good lube. DON'T shoot patched bullets unlubed unless you want to polish your barrel. It is okay to make 3 wraps to build up your diameter, maybe even 4. Don't go overboard trying to do it all with real thick paper. Taper crimp yes, roll crimp no.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I have gone to work on a more logistical part of the project. Will be sending cases to CH4D for sizing dies to be made and am still waiting for those .62's. As well as the shotcup minis shoot, i still think i will be happier with paper patched bullets. Money has been an issue and i have had to put a lot of things on hold. Still, an auction will be closing tomorrow on a 1010 grain scale, I am ordering some biggies from Beartooth Bullets, and will be trying a different powder. Should have done much of this three or four months ago but money was an issue.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
PLEASE keep us posted on what happens and what you learn. This is really intersting, and certainly "out-of-the-ordinary!!

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I finally got a reply from NEF, Barrels are 1137 cold drawn steel. Is this something to be concerned with?

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
45LCshooter: If you get a chance to shoot your rig some more, please, please post. Some of us are dying for an update.

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
When you think you've heard everything, it's this kind of experimenting that keeps the shooting game interesting-far moreso than the newest magnums!! keep it up!!