Find
Notify
Tools

Marine Tex Bedding - Release Agent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I had a bitch of a time with Marine Tex grey last year. Don't want to give all the details, since I lost my temper and a nice stock that I had done myself.

What do you use as a release agent for Marine Tex grey, and how do you apply it?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
For the last 15 years I've used Johnson's paste wax (the old fashion yellow can) and Marine Tex without a single stuck action. Probably done something on the order of 50-60 rifles that way and and I'm still on the first can of wax I ever bought. The only extraction problems I ever had were the tightness of fit, not adhesion of the compound.

I use a fairly liberal application with a toothbrush and then wipe off any excess build-up I can see. I plug any holes or other possible cavity that could trap the action with either plumber's putty or blue tape where appropriate. The wax is also a pretty good metal protectant after the fact, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
For the last 15 years I've used Johnson's paste wax (the old fashion yellow can) and Marine Tex without a single stuck action. Probably done something on the order of 50-60 rifles that way and and I'm still on the first can of wax I ever bought. The only extraction problems I ever had were the tightness of fit, not adhesion of the compound.

I use a fairly liberal application with a toothbrush and then wipe off any excess build-up I can see. I plug any holes or other possible cavity that could trap the action with either plumber's putty or blue tape where appropriate. The wax is also a pretty good metal protectant after the fact, too.

+1
I use modeling clay to fill holes and two coats of conservator's wax. Johnson's is popular or any decent automotive paste wax will work, just make sure you cover all surfaces. Wax works better IMO than Brownell's release agent and is easier to clean up.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
floorwax and plumbers putty

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Another vote for paste wax. I've used the Minwax and Johnson's, both worked great. I put a chunk of it in several layers of cheesecloth and wipe it all over the parts I don't want bedding to stick too. I've also used the large cotton patches used to clean the bore in lieu of the cheesecloth. I only use one layer though as it's woven tighter than cheesecloth. I put on 2-3 coats of wax, just to be sure I didn't miss a spot.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a comment, Silly Putty is much easier to clean up than plumbers putty or modeling clay.

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second Vote for Silly Putty! Great stuff.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your ideas.

Paste wax and silly putty will be put to good use the next time I use Marine Tex.

Here's a little more history.

Some goof at Brownells told me that my latex release agent from the Brownell's bedding compound kits would work just as well with Marine Tex. I had a lot of the old vials laying around.

Well the goof was completely wrong.

It cost me a stock and a lot of sanding time cleaning up the barreled action.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imhance:
Second Vote for Silly Putty! Great stuff.

Yep I used this on my last project. Much better than modeling clay for clean up.

Had one helluva time finding it here on the tundra. Finally found some "Glow Putty" in a local drug store toy aisle.

Same thing as Silly Putty but it glows in the dark. (I haven't verified the glow in the dark feature)

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paste wax and silly putty will be put to good use the next time I use Marine Tex.

Paste wax will work for a lot more bedding compounds than just Marine Tex.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An when failure isn't an option use a 100% full proof product regardless of materials exothermic action

PVA is # 1 , applied over the top of any carnuba or Teflon based paste wax , it's 110% guarantee ! .

Small quantity available too general consumers such as through ;

http://www.amazon.com/Fibergla...-Ounce/dp/B00144B4EM

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What Doc said and
I use bees wax to fill the holes and I have a collection of release agents from PPE.

Other then that the Blue crap that comes with Accraglass works but not my favorite

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote