New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55
 Login/Join

<ty>
posted
I just bought a carl gustof mauser. It's a model 96 The load books say this action is not as strong as the mod 98.How far can I push this action and still be safe? I have a kimber 308 on a 96 action so I'm guessing I can load until it reaches it's max and be safe.any help would be appricated.

<Robin>
posted
Ty, send me your e-mail address and give you what I can. Because of liability people load the swede pretty light. My experiance is they are a great deal tougher than credited.

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

<Fanback>
posted
I am also considering a 6.5 X 55. Would it work on my Remington Long action ok? The reason I ask is that the rim dimensions are a little different than 308/3006.

<Slamfire>
posted
Fanback, no reason to mess with the bolt face as either the 6.5x57 or .260 Rem will give you the same performance.

<OTTO>
posted

1) Pick a powder (the slower the better) and bullet from a load book.
2) Load one round at the minimum load and then step up in .5 grain increments one round in each step up.
3) Use your chronograph and watch for big jumps in velocities or for a plateau.
4) the lawyers will tell you never go over maximum load book stuff. It can be very dangerous.

I used this method in my Ruger 6.5x55 with good results. If you don't have a chronograph then you are playing with disaster.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
ty,
Most reloading manuals list loads for modern action unless specified, to make it safe for S-Mau action, according to Speer manual, reduce maximum load by one grain. If you want extra power, use Re22 to load or use Hornady light magnum factory load.

Fanback,
It would work if you use USA domestic brass, because in the US, 6.5X55 S-Mau brass are made from 30-06 brass because the head size is close, manufacturers think it doesn't hurt to use a slightly undersized cartridge head.

To verify, I measured my Remington brass, the headsize is 0.473 instead of 0.4803, exactly like the headsize of a .308 or 30-06.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Ty,

if you can get Norma or Vihtavuori powders, you�ll get loading data at their homepages: www.norma.cc, www.vihtavuori.fi If you use their data, you don�t have to worry.

Best regards,

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Alleycat>
posted
It's not so much the strength but the design of the 96 Mauser. It does not have the gas venting holes or large bolt shroud to protect the shooter's face if a primer punctures or other high presure gas leaks thru the action occur. Presure is kept lower to try to prevent primer punctures, etc.

<Ghost>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ty:
I just bought a carl gustof mauser. It's a model 96 The load books say this action is not as strong as the mod 98.How far can I push this action and still be safe? I have a kimber 308 on a 96 action so I'm guessing I can load until it reaches it's max and be safe.any help would be appricated.

I currently own not only one swedish mauser but two. The first was a model 96 the second is a model 38. With carful reloading practices and a little common sense, you can achieve excellent results with these rifles.
I have made 600 yard shots on prarie dogs with the 38 and only 18.5 inch barrel, with a 3.5-12x44 target scope mounted on it.
The 96 is still in military dress. I picked it up for 75 dollers from a dealer when he ordered one with a cracked stock. However when the rifle arrived the only crack in the stock was at the front ring of the action and it was just a sliver of wood missing. Just think a complete 96 all numbers matching and one heck of an accurate rifle. The only down fall is that it really doesn't care for light bullets. 139's are the lightest it will shoot accuratly.

Swedish mauser's are very nice rifle's I would highly recommend them to everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid $49 for my M96, all matching numbers.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fanback - Yes a Remington long action will work. I own a Remington 700 classic in 6.5X55 and it is a long action.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Fanback,

If you want the 6.5x55 on the a mod 700 LA it works just fine. You do need to open the bolt face but that is probably only a $100. Which is probably othing compared to Wildcatiing issues in general.

Remington produced the 700 classic in 6.5x55 in the early 90s.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner