THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Any Convenient Way To Tighten Safety Lever Action?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Convenient Way To Tighten Safety Lever Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I was out having fun shooting very reduced loads in my .500 A-Square (P-14 action), this afternoon when I experienced an interesting situation. I palmed the bolt open and bumped the safety lever with the edge of my hand, it swung into a straight up postition, and when I closed the bolt: BLAMMO! Good thing it wasn't a full power load, it would have hurt.

So: is there any way to easily make the safety lever not move so easily? Or am I just going to have to not be so ham-handed?

Any suggestions appreciated

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The P14 & P17 safety, if original, is a lever with a detent cam at the axis. Behind the cam is a spring and follower, or detent ball, that snap over the cam lobe as the safety is operated. I can only assume that the safety may have been modified in some way when your rifle was converted, i.e. the spring tension was reduced, the cam was rounded. The words that you used in your question, "convenient", "easy", really don't apply. You'll just have to disassemble the safety and see what is going on.

I would be just as, if not more, concerned with why the rifle slam fired when you closed the bolt. The trigger has issues that need to be addressed.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Trust me, I was not being flippant . I too am concerned, and disappointed with this. But it too is the first time I have ever noticed it, and I have owned this rifle since 1996. I will disassemble the rifle to take a look at it and see why it is doing this.

Thank you for the reply.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With most of these rifles if you put the safety on, and pull the trigger the rifle will have a either a hair trigger or fire when the safety is disengaged.Moral; Never rely on a safety.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
With most of these rifles if you put the safety on, and pull the trigger the rifle will have a either a hair trigger or fire when the safety is disengaged.Moral; Never rely on a safety.
Good Luck!

Moral; get the trigger and safety in sync!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taking the safety out of an Enfield takes some doin'. Behind the safety lever is a cover held on by a screw. Remove it. Put the safety in the "on" position. Use a small punch or screw driver to reach in past the safety lever to depress the spring and follower so that you can remove the safety. It's easier to explain it than it is to do it. That spring can be a bear to push in and hold.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
So I played with it a little this morning. With the bolt cocked, the safety feels very positive. You can feel the ball and detent, the lever is not very easily moved out of position. This is with the lever in the "fire" and "safe" positions.

With the firing pin down as if the rifle had been fired, and with the bolt open (like you are reloading), the safety lever is a limp noodle. It will pretty easily move out of position.

I will break out my small brass punches, safety glasses, and magnet (for the springs don'tcha know). Let the fun begin!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sounds like, to me, the spring has worn/broken in the safety. Wolf offers an enfield tune up kit for like 9 bucks.

(doyou have a cock on opn conversion?>_)

so, take the bolt out of the rifle and work the safety ..notice how it feels. Look down in the bolt way as you move the safety back. you'll see a little cam roll up. this engages the cocking piece on the bolt.

Now, WITH AN EMPTY GUN
put the bolt back in and try. you should notice a great deal more resistance when you pull the safety back, as well and the cocking piece moves slightly to the rear. when you roll it forward, it should rengage the trigger sear. THIS IS A CRITICAL ISSUE -- timney triggers, I have seen 2 so far, can be overly lightned and allow for a "slam" fire when the enfield safety is disengaged

WARNING - safety work is not for the amature!!
WARNING - enfield safeties are a PITA to put back together.

replace the safety spring

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote