New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who does glass beading?
 Login/Join

<Phil R>
posted
I have a stainless barreled action that I would like to have glass bead treated to dull the finish. Who does this treatment?
Thanks.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Many full service machine shops have the facilities. Those that do are a good source for acquiring the powdered beads which work quite well as filling material for benchrest sand bags. Bob

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Also try most auto body shops. Beware though that you'll probably need to do the preeepin and masking of any areas yourself. I would also make an appointment nd have it done while you waited. I would also only contact an independant shop, not a chain store, and talk to the owner personally. Heck, if he's a shooter and you're doing a big-bore you might be able to barter the beading for letting him shoot it a few times.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your somewhat close...why not call Hart rifle Barrels and have them do it? I know they perform that service on their own barrels. Beats saving a few bucks and having a moron squirt beads into or at the wrong places on your action. IMHO anyway.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil R

Most gunsmiths with any amount of equipment will have a glass bead cabinet, air compressor, and the glass beads.

Normal fee around here is 25.00/35.00 for barrel only and 35.00/45.00 for the barreled action.

Good Shooting,
Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Careful on having bead blasting done on a gun by a shop that doesn't do gun work. They most likely have the wrong bead size, or use silca sand, as they are interested in cleaning, not preparing a nice matte finish. My bead balster has a 48 inch wide cabinet, so I can get just about any rifle in it. Craftsman is right, any gun builder worth his shingle has a glass bead blaster. I blasted & hot caustic blued four rifles Wednesday, gives a nice matte dark blue.

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 05-25-2001).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend John Ricks for any gunwork and he just gave you some very good advise.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Thanks for the input folks.Actually, I saw a suggestion for Scotchbright in another thread on this forum and tried it on an old stainless takeoff barrel. It works pretty good...think I'll do the Scotchbright treatment on this rifle until I decide on a final finish.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had mine tefloned, I couldn't stand the silver color any longer...I got the OD green and its nice....comes in brown, black, green and grey....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote