New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Recoil Pad advice Please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am giving a young man a stock ruger MK2 in 30-06. He has shot the rifle several times and although he hasn't complained, he did mention recoil one time. Which recoil pad would you suggest I have added before I give him the gun?
Thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I always liked the Pachmayr Decelerator. Not the softest out there, but it is what I have on rifles up to .458.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I always liked the Pachmayr Decelerator. Not the softest out there, but it is what I have on rifles up to .458.

+1 thumb

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

Ditto!

I have one on my Lott and one going on my 375H&H.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the pachmayr devel is fine, it is light weight

the limbsaver is a HUGE step up in reducing recoil, but weighs about 3x

the ripease kickease is also heavy, but tears apart quickly

as light as rugers are, the limbsaver would make it feel like a 243

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I like decelerators, but many swear by limbsavers. Either one are quality pads for everyday guns. Wont go wrong with either one.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Decelerator!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I just had my Rem .300 RUM restocked with a MacMillan and Decelerator pad. I have to say that I was underwhelmed by the recoil reduction, if any compared the factory pad. My dad recently put a Limbsaver on his .300 and says the recoil was cut in half! I'm thinking I goofed.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks men. Think I'll get the Limbsaver for him. I appreciate the responses. Have a fine day!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Limb Saver. If your rifle has sufficient recoil to need a recoil pad, a little extra weight is an advantage.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with any of these suggestions... I have a Ruger MkII in '06 that I simply put a standard Pachmayr on... It made a major difference by itself... The decelerator will make a noticable difference from the standard and a Limbsaver even more....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Limb Saver can reduce recoil to an amazing degree, but I once while hunting I sat on a stump and got a tear or cut in the Limb Saver.

But I am still going to buy them, they make a 300 Win mag kick like a 30-30.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote