Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield action is hanging up
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted
Ok, after quite a bit of shooting the last month, my A Square rifle with the Enfield action has developed a small problem. After firing a shot, the bolt raises upwards just fine, but it takes a good effort to move the bolt backwards. It's only for about 1/16 or 1/32", then it slides very easily. This is not as noticeable when the gun is cocked. Any ideas or thoughts on this are appreciated.

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
470capstickA2,
Hard to diagnose w/o seeing it, but I'll bet it has an aftermarket Timney trigger & a cock-on-opening CP. The trigger sears are trying to reset as the CP comes back over them. The original trigger assembly was sprung to move down, and the aftermarket housings are fixed with an allen screw, so the sear itself must move down out ofthe CP's way.

I've found if the triggers have too much sear engagement, then they will bind while trying to reset. Reducing the sear engagement will allow them to clear, but go very slowly in your adjustments.

Hope this helps,
Hotshot

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
odd...
to be clear, it's NOT hard to lift the bolt, rather pull it back?

I think hotshot's on the right path, but I would also ask if you have torn the rifle down lately...

do this... loosen the action screws 1/2 a turn..

WITH THE GUN EMPTY

dry fire and see if this is the same ...

the bolt raising may be due to wood contacting the bolt handle..

anyway, let me know if the symptoms get better with the stock loose... you may have it in a bind...

further, the INSIDE of the bolt may be dirty, which would have an effect alike having too heavy a firing pin spring

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote