THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber a Steyr SBS in 6.5X57 to 6.5X65 RWS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Steyr SBS 96 in 6.5X57. Looking for a bit more velocity than a 6.5X55 SE. Already have a Sako 75 in the Swede, very accurate. From what I have read the 6.5X57 will have basically the same velocity. Given the Steyr possible trouble setting back the barrel would it be possible to just rechamber? Any othe 6.5 rounds that might be suitable or should I just leave things alone.

Thanks

ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC the Safe Bolt barrels are not easily removed. Be sure you deal with a gunsmith that is quite familiar with them. You'll probably end up leaving it as is....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ thanks for the info. I got the Steyr for a very good price NIB. I guess that they are selling them off. From the case dimensions it looks as if the 6.5X65 would be possible but I am no gunsmith. Have often heard that the barrels will need to be set back a thread or two given the Steyrs construction it could be problematic. Think I will check a gunsmith or two for their opinion and most likley do some reloading and see what teh 6.5X57 will do with 120 to 140's

Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to my RWS manual, one of the reasons the 6.5x65 was developed for was the possibility to easily rechamber 6.5x57 rifles. Not only is the case longer but also the case body is a bit larger. The x65 will deliver some 20% more energy than the x55. With the x57 you would only gain some 5%.

Posts: 98 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for a couple of replys from gunsmith's, when I compared the two cases it would appear that it should be a good match to re-chamber. I have dies and some rather expensive RWS brass on the way to see what the 6.5X57 will do. I would like to get to 3000fps with a 140, but this maybe optimistic. I think that it would be obtainable in 6.5X65. Any recommendations for a good gunsmith familiar with the Steyr SBS?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5x68Schuler, perhaps?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Is there enough room in the magazine to accomodate the cartridge?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5X57 is basically a 30.06 lenght action, and the magazine would be long enough. The 6.5X68S is more like a magnum and is about the same as the 264 Winchester, but no belt. The one that interests me is the 6.5X65RWS. Still awaiting a good answer from a couple of gunsmith's.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
The magazines on these rifles are caliber specific.

Not to be an ass, but have you checked?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a 6.5x68, I think you better move on to a M98 action or a Remington 700. Steyr trims their actions to the specific caliber, besides, what's wrong with the basic 6.5x57mm? I happen to like mine, and it's perfect for deer, Whitetail, Axis, Fallow, etc....

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i could like a 6.5x57 steyr. why dont you sell it to me and buy another rifle that better suits your needs before some hack destroys it.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr marks all of their magazines with a specific caliber, but they share the same body -- 6.5x55 mags work in a 25-06, etc.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with the Steyr importer today, and perhaps I was a bit uninformed. They will only sell a caliber specific magazine for the SBS series. Also found out that this caliber was not normally imported. Wonder how it got here? NIB, I will pick it up as soon as I get back home. I had thought that it had the rotary magazine which is not (other than the caliber markings) caliber specific. Also some confusion as to what model this rifle really is. Sold as a SBS 96, but looks just like a ProHunter. It could be rechamberd, but would be very expensive to do so apparentally more to do with the chamber surround at the end of the bolt than anything else. As to strenght it is most likley stronger than a 98 Mauser action. Supposedly Steyr proof tests to 120K PSI. I am not about to let some "hack" do anything to the rifle. Will keep it as it is, and let my Sako 75 in 6.5X55 take a rest from getting knocked about hunting. An other item is the RWS brass has a larger diameter ejector notch than the 30.06 family. Hornaday lists the shell holder for 6.5X57 as the same as a 30.06/270/243 etc but the RWS brass will not fit. I had to open the shell holder up by 4 thou.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
smithrjd,

All new Steyr bolt actioned hunting rifles, including the high gloss polyurethane finished fancy walnut stocked and high gloss blued models, the matte/plastic ProHunter, the matte/plastic Scouts and the now discontinued matte/wood Foresters, have SBS 96 actions and staggered column detachable box magazines.

I think you're making the right choice, FWIW.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i guess ill have to settle for one of the $600 6.5x55's CDNN has right now and hope the 2mm doesnt make a differnce on these southern whitetails.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
The now closed RangeMaster outfitters that was in Chesterton, IN bought a load of the "odd" European calibers from Diamond when Steyr went tits up in the US last time.

They had 5 6.5X57's in stock at one time. One is listed on GunsAmerica right now from another retailer in NW Indiana, who I believe bought the remaining inventory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I picked the Steyr up today. It is a ProHunter model. Very nice finish for a plastic/matte rifle, trigger is wonderful no creap crisp and about 3 pound letoff. This rifle came from the add that fireball168 mentioned so Kstephens if you really want a 6.5X57 they appear to be still avialbe.

Ron