Find
Notify
Tools

File cut ribs or other parts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

Any one out there who has knowledge of how to do a file cut rib either concave or convex? I spent about an hour and a half goofing on an old barrel polished to 320 grit. Some of the areas look good, but I am not sure of the old process. When I say old, I mean this process for dulling reflection is not evident on any but the most expensive and elaborate arms today.

I am assuming a file is used, but how is it held in relation to the part and it's surface or edge? I used the file(s)I practiced with by keeping the edge (corner) of the file on the work surface and used both pull and push at various angles to the axis on which I was goofing. Some of the areas look good, some OK and some look too busy or excessively scratched.

Come on, help me out with suggestions or links. Ok, I can read some now that I used the word suggestion(s).

Thanks,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bcp,

Not sure which file to use. The Brownells checkering file has teeth in even rows of spacings of one's choice. The file cut ribs I have seen have no rhyme or reason to the spacing. Have seen cross hatching of some sort used to dull reflecting surfaces, also.

Thanks for the suggestion. The hunt goes on.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actual file cut ribs appear on flat ribs. Concave or convex ribs with patterns on them were usually rolled on, or on very high end guns hand cut by an engraver.

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Or on production guns cut by a machine that was set up similar to a scraper but the long axis moved slowly and the cutter head oscillated back and forth very rapidly perpendicular to the bore as it moved down the barrel. The cutter was ground with the pattern and that produced the pattern on the rib.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

SKB and kcstott's answers both leave me out on the learning curve. Too much time to become an engraver or machinist so I guess I will stick to stippling. That method is a rather satisfying and stress free endeavor. A follow up question. Do any of you think James Meek's engraving tome would have pictoral examples of file cutting or rib engraving?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 3/8 in. rat tail round file. Use cutting oil and roll the file 90 degrees to the rib with down pressure. Reverse directions and cut again. It gives a matted finish with a little practise.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
A follow up question. Do any of you think James Meek's engraving tome would have pictoral examples of file cutting or rib engraving?
Stephen

No, not that I recall. Steve Hughes' book Custom Rifles in Black and White, however, has an excellent photo of some Winchester rolled-on rib markings, and some of Tom Turpin's books as well as the ACGG book show other treatments.
Regards, Joe
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les and JD,

Thanks, both. I am anxious to try the rolled rattail for effect and just need bite the bullet and get those 2 books.

On another note; Les, I appreciate your stockmaking post immensely. Any more coming any time soon? JD, Keep doing a great job in your replies. They show wisdom and experience I do not have.

Stephen