New
Find
Notify
Tools

cutting down the stock on a 10/22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody had butchered the stock on their 10/22? I was thinking for the kid sin my family about cutting it down so they could shoot a well fitted gun earlier, all of them, even the 8 and 10yo still find the gun a bit long. I can just get a synthetic after market stock for it later.

I was just going to cut it off flat and checker the back and hit with truoil, would that work?

I think LOP would have to be between 8-10", real short but....

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun Parts used to have simple adjustable buttplates, I believe they were from Rem 540 .22 target rifles. I put one on a Choate PG stock for an M1 Carbine, to lengthen the LOP.

Maybe they still got; you could ...extend Big Grin the use of the stock that way.

They give about 2 1/2-3 inches.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it was me, i'd put a 1/4" pad on it, just for completeness

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38532 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get some of those M4-like stocks that have extended stock. They have 6 lengh to choose.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/int...22-stock-p-1366.html

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10-22 stocks are a dime a dozen.many on ebay for less than 15.00.My target 222 has boot sole material for a butt pad.Looks good and tough as iron.Thick felt for wader soles would work also and could be dyed.I say go for it,if it does'nt work the stock can be replaced

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an echo. All above are correct. I have another take. Use a sharp chop saw or table saw to cut the butt stock off to desired length. Save the cut off piece as a filler for their growth and use it to grow the stock to match growth. The butt pad is un-necessary as you are going to, perhaps, scrap the stock as the young shooters achieve better shooting scores than you. Chuckle.

Enjoy the youngsters. They know not what they have in you.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I was lazy when I cut down a 22 for my kids. When I cut it down I fitted a platic butt plate as well as a 1" recoil pad. As they grew I simply swapped the plate for the pad.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good ideas all! for now I'll cut and keep the piece, I have some take off plates around here that could probably be made to work, and later I can add length maybe a 1/2 at a time. my youngest is 3, so it might be a while before I replace the stock Smiler

I just hope one of them really takes to guns and needs their own, and the youngest might be a lefty, imagine all the custom requirements there. Wink

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote