New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 Project: Need Input
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a 'Firearms International' FN Muaser rifle and would like to re-barrel to 9.3x62. As part of the project I intend to re-stock and would like to use a synthetic.

What synthetic stocks are available that are inletted for the FN receiver and bottom metal? Also, what contour barrel would you reccomend for the 9.3x62?

Any comments would be appreciated.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What synthetic stocks are available that are inletted for the FN receiver and bottom metal?

Just about everyone that makes a synthetic stock makes one for the M98. Which will pretty much then include the FN MKX Daly etc.

Since you are going synthetic I would go lighter on the barrel so you don't have a muzzle heavy feel. I don't think the 9.3X62 needs anything longer than a 24". My choice would be 22".

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for in this, which will drive what the answers are...

today for me, if I was deadset on a synthetic, it would be all as light as possible, 22-24", lightest barrel possible, and scoped

since effectively the 9,3x62 and the 376 steyr are ballistically very close (abput 2 grains capacity and .009 diameter( , this is what I wouldn't mind building one day on a steyr, and just translated it.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spudstor:
I recently purchased a 'Firearms International' FN Muaser rifle and would like to re-barrel to 9.3x62. As part of the project I intend to re-stock and would like to use a synthetic.

What synthetic stocks are available that are inletted for the FN receiver and bottom metal? Also, what contour barrel would you reccomend for the 9.3x62?

Any comments would be appreciated.

There are lots of minor differences in various mauser-pattern bottom sets so be ready for some minor fitting. An FN commecial fits differently that a MK X, both of which vary slightly from military. Not to mention FN patterns changed over the years. Be carefull of distibutors; a lot of them think think they know more than they actually do. Just call the stock mfg. with exactly what you have and let him match the closest stock.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spud....

You've already received some solid pointers from some regular posters who have track records of providing solid advice on such matters. Like the others above don't consider the stock issue much to ponder either, there are myriads of synthetic handles for countless Mauser variants that will accommodate your FN action with none or perhaps minor tweaking.

I agree 100% with jeffe, sit down and ponder the rifle's concept. What are you looking for? Waht kind of hunting will it be used for? A long range thumper? Something for woods stalking and close-in shots? Or just an all-round, vanilla-flavored 9.3x62, similar to a Remington 700 in .35 Whelen? What kind of optic or open sights?

I selcted the controlled round feed of a Mauser action, short (20" bbl.), stiffer, heavier barrel, mounts affording open sight and multiple scope options & synthetic stock for my 9.3x62. These considerations all fit my concept of a rifle to be used for confined High Seats, Drive Hunts in thick cover and woods stalking.

Also there has considerable banter here about barrels as long as 24"-26" for the 9.3x62 in an attempt to obtain maximum velocity potential from this cartridge. On the other hand here in Europe the Blaser 19" tracker barrels in 9.3x62 are big sellers for drive hunts and close-range shooting. I've never seen an animal jump up and run away screaming they hadn't recieved the appropriate amount of deadness from +/- foot pounds of energy due to the barrels being too short, either.

While not a real bruiser in the recoil department, consider all the ramifications of an overly "light" 9.3; is that what you want? Will the recoil eventually relegate the rifle to back row of your gun safe?

Have fun making your decisions and hunting with your 9.3x62 rifle project!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
MY rifle is a mauser 9,3x62. The barrel is 23,5" long and to be honest you don't need more than 22". If I was going all the route again I will do mine of 20 or 21 inches, 22 as a max.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the input. My newly aquired FN rifle came with a great Redfield receiver sight (not sure what model) and I plan on leaving it in place for the 9.3x62.

Also, I appreciate your coments regarding the synthetic stock options. I do not have any experience with synthetic stocks and was concerned that it would be difficult to carry out action and bottom metal fitting without goofing-up / compromising the synthetic material. I am thinking of going with the Mauser MK-X stock made by McMillan. Any comments???

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a McMillan.

One issue with a MKX is that normally if the blank is finished it is set up for the slide safety. Not sure of what yours has. Talk to McMillan or the manufacturer of what ever you decide on. They should be able to help you. If you get a blank and finish it yourself you can adjust it to fit your needs.

Any of the fiberglass/ epoxy based stocks are easy to finish and add or remove material. The plastic injected ones are much more of a problem.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote